Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: QQ in 3bet pot overpair, but he donks into me twice? (NL50-150 BB)

I think that was very well written illini thanks for the explanation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 PM

Pretty good analysis Illini. I am pretty sure raising the flop here is really bad (if any other posters want to chime in I'd love to hear it, but raising the flop is basically turning my hand into a bluff). Yes, I have been playing pretty LAG, but still mainly 3betting JJ+, AK, and a few other hands if I was in the blinds vs. a CO or btn raiser. We are deep enough that he can play smaller pocket pairs for set odds too, meaning 555 and 777 are possible although not completely likely (I think he limps 55 and 77 occasionaly, although raising them is proabably his most common action).

Basically, if I raise the flop then I am looking to check behind on the turn right? Shoving, or betting, the turn after a raise to $20 or $25 seems like I never get looked up light here and thus QQ is no good vs. basically his whole calling range. Well, even by raising and checking behind stacks are suck that he can shove for 90 or so BB as a pot size shove on the river. At that point he has commited enough chips beforehand to pretty much rule out air and valueshoving a worse hand is also pretty implausible so I end up folding the river. Yes, sometimes I get to check it down from that point, but I think calling and hoping for the turn to check through is the best plan of action here. Also, the half pot lead on the flop is typically either looking for me to raise or just a feeler bet with 88-1010 as I am almost always firing a cbet on this flop in a 3bet pot.

Basically, if I raise the flop I have to shutdown afterwards and fold to further aggression. I was trying to get to SD cheaply, but it doesn't look like he is going to let that happen with his pot size bet on the turn.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If hero had Aces/K's should he be raising the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I porbably raise here with Kings about 50/50, mainly for value but will be able to fold them later vs. some opponents who wouldn't felt QQ. With aces I smooth call a lot, mainly to hide the strength of my hand and make it look like an AK float or something like QQ. Also, many decent players will call a little lighter if you just call the flop in this spot and some will hang themselves with KK or QQ.