Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: WSEX: Official Monthly Thread: June. (#10 of 10.)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've cracked open teh ol wpex a few times over the last few days and without the bots there arent many games running. hard to sit in when i know all of the players and cant find any big fish to chase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez Guru, you just need to think more like me. Once you follow my example and begin to overestimate your own skill while at the same time underestimating everyone else's, there's ALWAYS a game worth playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This is my modus operandi as well. I can always find a game.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any other complaints about the platform? Bugs or feature requests?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.holdemreview.com/index.ph...wn-to-business

I honestly think more people would play if there was an option to switch to something like this.

-----------------
now that I'm started:

a) as has been pointed out, HU (heads up) tables go really really well with rake free.

b) I don't think you can compete in SNG (one table tournaments) because most players need quantity. But I think you might be able to compete in multitable SNGs like 45 man or 90 man or 180 man. The reason I think this is that your guaranteed tournaments like the 5k guaranteed I'm playing in right now attract a lot of players, 152 , even if there isn't an overlay, although today there is quite a large overlay. I think things like medium sized tournaments like this would go even without an announced overlay, since even without overlay the rakeback is like 10% overlay anyway, which is huge. The main benefit of say a 180 man SNG is that it can go anytime so basically you are offering a guaranteed tournament whenever the players want it.
Also a sidepoint hand histories and HUD are typically not as widely used in tournaments as cash games, so some of the people who don't play cash because of that might play tourneys.

c) I think you should email all your players, especially the dormant ones, and describe for them how they can fund their accounts, since there seems to be some confusion about western union or moneygram and stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Also (i'm being serious) add a jingle or somthing when you open/close the client.

I'm thinking of the betfred poker client it had a really cool jingle I don't know if it still has it, kind of a classy jazz maybe bossa nova muzak thingee.

I really liked that for some reason. Sometimes I would just open it up even though I had no money on there. (bonus whore days when you moved a bunch of money aruond and played a lot of sites). True story.

If you used the betfred one honestly I would play more at wpex, I know that sounds silly but really half the battle is just to have people have your client open all the time.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any other complaints about the platform? Bugs or feature requests?

[/ QUOTE ]

The platform is fine. In terms of connectivity and bugginess you now compare well to Poker Stars.

The existing player base is as baffled as you as to why the player base isn't bigger. There's not much you can do in the way of improvements. WPX is a great place to play. It stands to reason that the rest of the poker world may eventually figure this out but shortcomings on the site aren't keeping players away.

Maybe from an attraction standpoint you could add no/low cost frills like tournament leader boards or rakeback leader boards. These things might appeal to the ego side of the poker mind and tie players onto the site more tightly. Perhaps there could be a token cash prize given to the weekly, monthly or yearly leader in these categories.

It seems there's some psychological attraction that players have to the VIP tiers found at sites like Poker Stars. Maybe mimicking these ideas would build the base.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Other ramblings:

Maybe we WPX regulars at 2+2 can figure out an informal way to get some of the other games going. Perhaps there can be a tradition where :

Sunday is O8B day,
Monday is Stud/8 day,
Tuesday is Stud day,

etc.

We could try to to build the player base around something low, like a 1/2 game and hope for expansion. It can be thought of as an informal mini-trout games for the 2+2 player base.

If it was possible to track winnings from these specific days perhaps WPX could have the "Monday Stud/8 Leaderboard", etc. This might serve as a lure for regulars of these games at other sites to learn the advantages of a rake free format (especially for those playing hi/lo split games).
Old 06-03-2007, 08:17 PM

We should have Stud day on an aces never lose day. I'm down with 3/6; I don't want to play 1/2.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We should have Stud day on an aces never lose day. I'm down with 3/6; I don't want to play 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the promo covers stud anymore so I reasoned that more players would be likely to dabble in these games on the non-promo days.

I don't have a limit preference but I figured that a 1/2 game would be most likely to draw recreational play. The idea is to build a player base so higher games may develop. I have no objection to 3/6 (or whatever the limit chosen), it would just be nice to have a wider array of games being played.

The particulars are open for discussion and tweaking.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:30 PM

jfk -- Stud hi games are eligible for aces. More than that, your 7th street card counts, not just your first two.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:41 PM

I'll be damned. Thanks for the correction. Maybe Wed. night becomes 3/6 Stud night.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems there's some psychological attraction that players have to the VIP tiers found at sites like Poker Stars. Maybe mimicking these ideas would build the base.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's something to this. I personally like the idea of a rakeback leaderboard. Players like to know how much others are making in rakeback IMO and a weekly leaderboard would add a sense of competition, and probably inspire people to play more. Of course, this is still unlikely to attract people who don't understand the value of rakeback in the first place.
Closed Thread