Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Weird river spot against expert

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet/fold river unless ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop right there. You can't recommend highly exploitable folds like this here.

We've been told that the opponent is a superior player to the OP. Against a player who is better than you are, you need to be playing things a bit more straight-forward. Folding KK at any point in this hand is an attempt to take advantage of an opponent who is too passive. There is no way we can make that assumption here, and further, since this player is described as clearly better than the OP, it's safe to assume that if the OP attempts to make folds like this, he is going to get OWNED.

You can only bet if you intend to call a raise. Folding is out of the question given this player description.

-eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that our line is highly exploitable, but even though there are very good players in this game Im not sure if this opponent has a river bluff raise in his quiver. I could be wrong and I dont suggest this line as a mainstay, but I have yet to see a river bluff raise by a solid player in that game. I dont have a large sample size and Im sure it happens occassionally, but not enough to abandon bet/fold as a viable line. I added an addendum in case opponent is someone who OP views as tricky enough to make this kind of play. I only worry that by missing value against players we respect we allow them to play better than if we put the hammer down.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:43 AM

It really would help if we knew something about your play, OP. If you are the type to 3-bet the flop with KJ or AK and you showdown a lot then this is an easy bet/fold. If you are the type to only 3-be that flop with a big pair/trips or monster draw then a check-behind looks more appealing but I still think its close cuz even experts pay off with 9x+ there.

Expecting him to c/r with a worse hand any appreciable amount of time is silly imo.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this hand didn't happen for one very simple reason

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i get it
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM

i dont understand your joke yet vehn, and curious who op is referring to if you want to pm me, i think river is b/c, villain shows up with 88, Ac7c type hands enough to make this value, and op can show up enough with AK or club draw of his own to make this a callable spot for something that paired - villain may fold river quite often, and you may get c/r by a queen enough of the time to aggitate you but i think its good value here