Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: How do I study poker books?

Using SSHE as an example, I used to read a chapter every other day or so. Then I would play micros and specifically look for situations where I could apply what I learned. One day I was focusing solely on preflop hand selection. Then I focused on protecting my hand. After a while all the parts come together.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Using SSHE as an example, I used to read a chapter every other day or so. Then I would play micros and specifically look for situations where I could apply what I learned. One day I was focusing solely on preflop hand selection. Then I focused on protecting my hand. After a while all the parts come together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great example. I've had exactly the same experience. I was recently working on raise sizes and pot odds, including posting a question on this site. I would look at the board, and even if I knew I was going to fold, think about how many outs I had, what kind of raise would take away the next guy's pot odds, etc. One day, it all came together. I realized that not only did I know how to handle pot odds, but I could learn what the other players were doing, and get a good read on how much they knew(this is micro, after all).

Did they have a standard raise? Was it 3, 4, or 5bb, and what were the implications of that? Did the raise account for limpers? Did they understand pot odds at all? If they missed the board, were they likely to fold to a minraise if I bet my second or third pair on the flop?

It's all about putting the pieces together, and, to use a military metaphor, having as many weapons as possbile in your arnesal when you go into battle.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 PM

For me, it worked best if I made notes in the book and highlighted things. After reading the book I would play a little poker then go back and re-read all the sections I had highlighted. After doing that for a while I had a better handle on the game.

Good Luck