Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Can God know that he is infinite?

Yes, he can do what ever you say he can do. Artistic license. No reason why logic should apply in a fantasy.

So it’s not a fantasy, well there is no opinion until we collect enough experimental evidence to make suitably convincing models that encompass the answer to these questions. Which given the nature of the questions is likely to take a while.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Can God know that he is infinite?

In my "God" debate with Andy Fox on SMP about 2 years ago - sponsered by David Sklansky with charitable contributions to medical research - I made it a point to demure from any imposition of terms like "entity" or "being". I imagine people thought I was being an evasive nit with that position. It's for exactly reasons like the OP that I take that stand. Those words immediately put God in a Box. Once you do that you can't help but ask about what's outside the Box.

Of course anything we say about God really amounts to putting him in a Box. That's why I avoid terms like "All Knowing" or "All Powerful". Whatever "Knowing" God is about is a kind of "Knowing" which our understanding of the word does not capture. If it did capture it, God would be captured in that Box of our understanding of the word. Same with Power.

The least restrictive term I've been able to come up with is, "Source of Existence". That seems to me a simple answer for our ultimate question, "Why not Nothing?". But even that can Box God in. A lot of mystical writing amounts to mystical expansion after mystical expansion of God Boxes. This is why I say that Religious interpretations should not be treated as "correct" or "incorrect", "accurate" or "inaccurate". They are automatically limited by virtue of our speaking them. The best they can do is act as pointers to something beyond them. However, this does not mean we cannot use Personification as a pointer and an aid for our relationship experience with the divine.

PairTheBoard