Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Prepping for \"the jump\"

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the same boat like you. I set aside 150 BB in Party to take a shot at 10/20 mainly during weekends.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here. I'm taking shots at the 10/20 on Friday/Saturday night when I'm not going out. So far the most important thing to take care of just seems to be table selection; its not like any of us have such big holes in our game that we can't beat it.

I'm curious, any more of us moving up? Wynton is taking shots too, right?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM

dont worry about it. just keep focused and keep your reads solid.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:05 PM

kapw -> dont say it was a misclick, say you had a killer read. Thats what it looks like heh
Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont worry about it. just keep focused and run well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd know all about that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM

I'd play fewer tables to start out with- if you play 4 5-10 tables try 2 at 10/20- it def helps to slow the game down and allow you more time to think.
Make sure you exercise good seat selection- during your first attempts having a LAG three betting you constantly could easily break your confidence especially with any kind of bad run of cards. Just remember that it is the same game, same rules. Good hands win in the long run, punish over aggression with strong hand selection preflop.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM

Just curious how many hands have you put in and at what levels?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:58 PM

2/4 + 3/6 full: 140k hands
3/6 6 max: 48k hands
5/10 6 max: 25k hands (I took a shot late last year, ran bad, limped back to 3/6 6 max)
10/20 6 max: 42 hands [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I know, i should have been here a long time ago, but when your bankroll is your "buy crap you don't need fund", it dies quickly.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM

Wynton was about to take some shots, but he made the mistake of announcing he was thinking about it, which prompted the poker gods to punish him.

That's the most important part about moving up: keep it to yourself until the move is a fait accompli.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Unless you played something like 10 millions hands in that one month you played 5/10, I don't see how you can say with any statistical certainty that you are a winner already in that game. Maybe you have the skillset and because of the opposition are well on your way to becoming a winner, but we don't know, and you don't know either.

It sometimes pays to be confident, but most of the time it will be you who will end up paying if you are not too careful with your bankroll and let your ego get in the way of things.

If you're a multitabler and you still want to do this, I suggest you add only 1 or two tables of 10/20 and progressively go up as your comfort level increases. And be willing to move down if you hit a rough patch of -150bb, -200bb.

My main suggestion though would be to stick around 5/10 for at least another month or 50k hands, get your bankroll to 1000BBs, then move up. Taking shot is fine though, but, again, be willing to move down so as to not put your bankroll at risk. 500BB is just not enough for the 10/20 for a new player (or any player for that matter, but imo new players run a higher risk of playing badly and tilting due to the more aggressive level) for that level.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest just mixing some 10/20 in for a little bit, playing some 10/20 when you feel good about your game, or when a game looks good (perhaps follow a buddy up). Play less tables, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Also, I would want more than 500BBs to take a stab at this level. The mixing in a 1 table of 10/20 is great advice because i) it enables you to select really good tables and ii) it enables you to get used to the swings. No matter how big your bankroll is, the only way to get used to the variance is by experiencing the butt end of it. If you jump right in a 4 table you will lose $2,000 in an hour easily .