Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Live $1/$2 trip advice needed (especially BR)

[ QUOTE ]
Y'all would have to suck pretty bad to drop $2000*3 that fast at NL1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 5 days?? All you have to do is run a little bit bad. That's $400 a day. You've never dropped 2 buy-ins in half an hour?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 5 days?? All you have to do is run a little bit bad. That's $400 a day. You've never dropped 2 buy-ins in half an hour?

[/ QUOTE ]
This weekend (5 outter on the river taking my AA down in flames to KJ who hit 2-pair, and 3 outter 20 minutes later on my J9 vs QJ on a JJ49Q board--just call me the Mike Matusow of small stakes no limit--unluckiest player evah). But I've never dropped 10 buyins in a row.

Short streaks of variance happen all the time. 10-in-a-row shouldn't happen very often. And since they are working out of a shared bankroll, one of 'em can get ultra-super-cold-decked and lose 15 buyins and there's still $1500 in the kitty to play with even if everybody else breaks even. It's the shared bankroll that makes this a fairly safe gamble, long as they're actually winning players.

If they instead suck at this game, or play a really high variance sorta game (which OP specifically said there were NOT going to do), it'd be riskier. But if they intend to sit and grind, and are decent at it, they'll be ok for 5 days on $6000.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This weekend (5 outter on the river taking my AA down in flames to KJ who hit 2-pair, and 3 outter 20 minutes later on my J9 vs QJ on a JJ49Q board--just call me the Mike Matusow of small stakes no limit--unluckiest player evah). But I've never dropped 10 buyins in a row.

Short streaks of variance happen all the time. 10-in-a-row shouldn't happen very often. And since they are working out of a shared bankroll, one of 'em can get ultra-super-cold-decked and lose 15 buyins and there's still $1500 in the kitty to play with even if everybody else breaks even. It's the shared bankroll that makes this a fairly safe gamble, long as they're actually winning players.

If they instead suck at this game, or play a really high variance sorta game (which OP specifically said there were NOT going to do), it'd be riskier. But if they intend to sit and grind, and are decent at it, they'll be ok for 5 days on $6000.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have to lose 10 buy-ins in a row, just end each day net down 2 buy-ins. That probably won't happen, but if it does, that doesn't mean they "suck pretty bad". On a recent trip I dropped 8 buy-ins in a row, and may have dropped more if the trip had been longer. It might be that I "suck pretty bad" or it might be that I missed every single flush and straight draw that I had (and I had a lot of them).
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 AM

I think you both have valid points. I have seen my share of variance both ways and know that cards can run against you. If we always made exactly our EV, then the game would be downright boring.

That being said, I do agree with Bav that a busto situation on this trip is unlikely given the shared risk, decent BR and relatively short time. Hopefully we will not all run bad at the same time. Just in case, we will be re-assessing at the end of each day and will adjust stakes / games if needed.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:12 AM

You guys sound pretty smart. I usually just head to Vegas with a couple hundred and start pounding free drinks until I'm either busto or have enough to REALLY party it up.

Sounds like you'll be fine. BTW I don't think the Vegas games have a cap. At least at the Wynn they don't, and I don't think Ceasar's or MGM does either. Maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, I go and pound drinks. We have to pay for drinks in L.A.

Either way, good luck. And spending most of your day playing poker doesn't sound too good. At least hit the club, or maybe the craps tables, at least once? Even a lounge would be cool. Or check out the Blue Man Group. There's so much to do in Vegas besides poker.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:50 AM

When I was in Vegas last month or so, Flamingo had a surprisingly good 1/2 with $300 cap - so if you're looking to sit at 1/2 with > $200 you might try there. The room there is nothing to write home about but the game was good - didn't see a lot of people buying in for random short amounts.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:53 AM

I hope you guys are close and have shared money like this before. This sounds like a really good way to head to Vegas with 2 close friends and come home with none.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you guys are close and have shared money like this before. This sounds like a really good way to head to Vegas with 2 close friends and come home with none.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the feedback. This is always good advice, although this is not a concern for me in this case. These are two of probably <10 people that I would do this with. We have done similar in the past.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM

We do not plan on doing much besides poker. That being said, there is always the possibility that we will break down and engage in some drunken debauchery despite our best intentions.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 PM

I liked this idea so much that when my buddy comes out for a weeks vacation in mid june, we will now be pooling bankrolls (evenly matched of course) and splitting what's there at the end....