Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Why is starcraft more popular in South Korea than Warcraft 3?

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend watching some of the korean stadium games on youtube. So many people in the crowd and they all have thundersticks watching to guys on a jumbotron playing starcraft...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even understand all of this post, and I'm still in awe of what you're saying. They watch this sh*t in stadiums????
Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend watching some of the korean stadium games on youtube. So many people in the crowd and they all have thundersticks watching to guys on a jumbotron playing starcraft...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even understand all of this post, and I'm still in awe of what you're saying. They watch this sh*t in stadiums????

[/ QUOTE ]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jJkXeVmRYhM

I just watched this one. Wow. This reminds me of that Sliders episode where they are on an alternate Earth where the biggest thing around are intelligence competiitions instead of sports.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 AM

How do they prevent people in the crowd from yelling the strategies of the opponent to the player they're rooting for?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 AM

Most of the time the players are wearing headsets and cannot hear anything other than the game.

Plus nothing is stopping them from trying really, other than not being a retard and getting thrown out.

Their comments would only be minimally helpful anyway, they might yell out one thing somebody is doing on the other side of the map but a great player is scouting everywhere anyway and it would only be a slight advantage (but that may be all they need).

Alot of the issues concerning WC3 were touched on in the other SC2 thread.

To put it shortly and simply, SC is simply a much better, faster paced, deeper strategic game than WC3 (think chess vs. checkers)
Old 05-30-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched this one. Wow. This reminds me of that Sliders episode where they are on an alternate Earth where the biggest thing around are intelligence competiitions instead of sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeesh, I would like to see this episode and live in this world. Or at least play the game.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Americans like Starcraft better too...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:53 AM

1. Faster paced (allows for more of a skill gap)
2. Hard counters (allows for deeper strategy)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeesh, I would like to see this episode and live in this world. Or at least play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the game involved plenty of physical activity and you would still need to be a good athlete to excel. You would jump around with a ball answering questions and then throw the ball to a teammate before you hit the ground or time ran out or whatever. Jerry O'Connell was the Michael Jordan of that world.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 AM

Starcraft is much more spectator friendly, since lots of units, lots of blood, easy to know who's winning, lots of fighting, etc.

I disagree that Starcraft takes more skill, though. Having to micro every unit and not letting any single one go to waste is much more difficult and challenging to do and to master.

Skill is watching SpiritMoon blocking the enemy Demon Hunter so he can't run away with his wisp (pathing block), or shadowmelding 3 archers underneath the neutral tavern to get a free kill on the enemy hero. This type of stuff is much more skill based than Starcraft.

I'm not saying micro is negletced in Starcraft, but moreso that Warcraft involves so much more, and it is much more important.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying micro is negletced in Starcraft, but moreso that Warcraft involves so much more, and it is much more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro is typically what decides games for great players in Starcraft. The great players micro every unit and try not to let a single one go to waste.