Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: How my stance on panhandlers changed, if just for one day.

[ QUOTE ]
Most homeless people won't accept food, they seem to get uppity about it if you offer it to them for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMPO, if this is the case, they aren't really that in need.

When I was young (well, youngER, I guess), I used to never give money out at all. Then, one time, I was in San Francisco, and this guy I was with gave a bum some change. I asked him, "why would you give him money?" His reply was, "he could use it more than I could". I kind of agreed with his thinking, so after that, I would occasionally give out change if someone asked for it.

When I came to UCLA, I realized that all of the bums here are the most spoiled POS's to ever exist. Even in the state that they're in, many of them will turn down change because the denomination is too small, and I've even seen one of them throw it away once. At that point, I just decided it's all a bunch of crap and I no longer give out money to anyone (for the most part).

I know that there are the ones with mental issues, or Vietnam veterans with no place to go and no family to help them. But with all of the ones out there pretending, I've just decided that it's too much of a hassle to try to distinguish between the truly needy and the ones who are just too lazy to get their own job and prefer to mooch off of society.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 AM

Living in L.A. and Boulder, I did this quite often. I guess I was never used to seeing so many homeless people.

I did it to help people, because I could afford it and for karma. Maybe charity is a selfish act, but I don't think those receiving it really care.

In L.A. it can get quite annoying and you can't help everyone. It's depressing but motivates me to do great things in my life so I can help more people that need it.

I have gave money when I was broke too, probably for good karma. Reminds me of the Dan Bern song God Said No.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Also, in Boulder rich kids would panhandle downtown all the time. Some people pretend to enjoy the lifestyle which is obviously very stupid.

I'm a hardcore libertarian and believe people should work for themselves, however, I think society is stacked against some people. For me, humanity transcends ideology and the need for me to have needless things so why not help others.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most homeless people won't accept food, they seem to get uppity about it if you offer it to them for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I've probably only done it like 5 times, but they've always seemed really happy about it.

Being in India really forced me to think about my interactions with beggars more. It was a really weird and uncomfortable experience to be constantly hounded for pennies, and no matter how I responded, I always managed to feel horrible afterwards.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 AM

I recently posted in OOT about attempting to give a homeless person a loaf of rye bread. The homeless person got mad at me an indignantly said "What am I supposed to put on it?" and walked away.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Where are homeless people getting these dogs? Most of them look as if they've been homeless forever and it's hard to imagine them having a prior life with a nice house and a dog.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I've probably only done it like 5 times, but they've always seemed really happy about it.

Being in India really forced me to think about my interactions with beggars more. It was a really weird and uncomfortable experience to be constantly hounded for pennies, and no matter how I responded, I always managed to feel horrible afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is exactly the same.
Have given food to homeless people 5 times or so and always received a warm thank-you.

Sometimes would order more at a restaurant than I knew I was going to eat if I was in an area where I knew I could easily find a homeless person or if I saw a guy waiting at the exit-ramp or something and knew I would pass him again on my way out.

In Memphis though, the homeless can be a bit more aggressive and I've grown less moved by them for some reason.
Most of them are okay and have just been unlucky in life somewhat.
But there are psychos out there and bad stuff can and does happen.

Haven't been to India.
I was in Cuzco, Peru for only 3 days and being caucasian means you are going to get approached by one after another and asked for pennies.
Being white simply means you have money.
And I felt like dirt because I only gave to a couple and walked past most (in the city it was pretty much non-stop).

In the meanwhile, we were staying with my GF's great-aunt who is a nun. Her monastery runs a senior-home for about 200 men who have nowhere else to go in their old-age.
It's run by just 6 nuns and whoever they can get to volunteer. pretty much work 14+ hours a day with the meals, dishes, growing vegetables, washing sheets, etc etc.

Somewhat inspirational just watching the whole process and meeting them... but also made me feel even more like dirt and like the spoiled, rich American I know I am.

and I suck at poker, so rich is a relative term that I am using on a world-scale and not on a 2+2'er/balla type scale.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 PM

I have not had much interaction with homeless people growing up in a small town. Now I live in Louisville and I see more than before even though with some of them I doubt they are homeless. Most of the ones that approach me are 20 something black guys that look in perfect health. There is no way I would give them anything.

Handicapped people and older people I would be much more inclined to give to, but I just never see anyone like that.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 PM

I give food and money to homeless people all the time. Some of you feel that giving them money will allow them to spend it on drugs and alcohol, well that's precisely why I give them money.I know that that's what they might buy. Whatever gets them through the day. I'm sure many of you have been in points in your life when all you need is a drink or to smoke a joint. Now imagine how much more so it is important to these people.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:41 PM

Quick funny story:

The other day I get off the T (subway in Boston) and decide to walk into McDonald's to get a soda because its hot as balls. There is a homeless guy standing outside, one that I see always see walking around, collecting cans, etc. He's smart and friendly about his begging.

Homeless guy: Can you spare some change? If you don't have any now, maybe on the way out?

Me: Actually I just have a credit card, but i can get you something to eat if you want.

Homeless Guy: Wow that's great. I'll have two premium grilled chicken club sandwich and a large chocolate shake.

Me: (lol) I don't know about that, how about a couple McChicken sandwiches?

Homeless guy: Nah man, I ain't down with all that fried mystery meat.

I thought it was pretty funny that he was such a health-conscious homeless man.

There are some homeless people that collect at an intersection by the Museum of Science in Boston. I drive by there a bunch and the light there is real fast, so it only lets a few cars through every minute or two. I see these beggars get a $1 for every other time the light changes. Maybe 2 out of 5. But still, if you do the math, this guy is pulling in like $20/hour. I've seen him all times of morning and day. Not that I'm sayin he has a good gig or anything but not bad. You can forget about the guys that play music or the improvised drums after Celtics games, I bet they get like $500 during the 30 minutes they're out there. Sometimes I see them take handfuls and handfuls of bills out of their collection thing because whose gonna drop a $1 in when there it is overflowing with cash?