Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which street do you like the best
Preflop - min raise and reraise 1 5.56%
Flop - min bet 0 0%
Turn - tiny bet, min raise, min reraise, min rereraise and min rerereraise 11 61.11%
River - check check 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: How Do Kill Games Affect a Poker Room? (with poll)

I don't like kills for 1 reason. They create a situation where my bankroll can get eaten up too quickly. In other words, If I'm playing 3/6 kill and the kill is on the game has now become 6/12 for at least a hand which would require my bankroll to be $3600, which at this point would be a problem for me. If I had the bankroll to support it I wouldn't mind at all. People go insane at the places I play when a kill is on. It seems like they cap multiple streets.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

I've never been in a full kill game, but many of the local games, both LHE and O8B, are half kill.

I find this format to be of great advantage to the better players. The kill button stimulates action and allows a good player another way to exploit edges in making adjustments.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM

IMO the usefulness of kills depends on both how the game typically plays and how the kill is applied.

Games that typically play loose don't need kills, as they already have action and may confuse and/or intimidate newer and/or poorer players. Games that tend to play tighter, however, benefit from the extra action kill pots generate.

How much action the kill generates depends on how it's applied. Especially in a full ring game, if you have to win 2 consecutive raked pots to get the kill button, you are only going to see a few kill pots every hour. On the other hand, if the kill pot is activated when a player wins a large pot (or scoops in a hi/lo game) then there will be more kills and more action.

On a totally different tangent, I just want to mention that kills not only make stupid players play looser, but they also make good players loosen up because there is more blind money out proportional to the stakes.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like kills for 1 reason. They create a situation where my bankroll can get eaten up too quickly. In other words, If I'm playing 3/6 kill and the kill is on the game has now become 6/12 for at least a hand which would require my bankroll to be $3600, which at this point would be a problem for me. If I had the bankroll to support it I wouldn't mind at all. People go insane at the places I play when a kill is on. It seems like they cap multiple streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the bankroll requirements depend on the type of kill. Where I play, the kill is operative when someone wins two hands in a row. If you calculate that the "leg up" will win approximately 1/10 of the time in full ring, a 3/6 game will play 3/6 90% of the time and 6/12 10% of the time. In other words, you need to be rolled to play something that approximates 3.3/6.6.

Now you might want to adjust it for safety, but if you are bankrolled approximately 10-20% over the 300 BBs for your level, you should be adequately bankrolled for the kill. You shouldn't need to be fully bankrolled for 300 BBs of the kill level.

Note, the analysis varies if the kill pot arises due to the size of pots. I have never played in those types of games, but I understand it can stay at the kill level for long stretches.

BTW, I enjoy playing in a game with a kill because so few of the other low limit players make the proper adjustments for the kill.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Kill pots require you "adjust" to the conditions. I will play a half or full kill, as long as it's 4/8 or below. I refuse to play anything higher, then let the luck factor hand the "worst player in the game" a big "suckout" type kill pot, which gets him even at my expense. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 PM

I like kills, and I took my worst beat ever in a 4/8 full kill game in a kill pot. What everyone says about players not properly adjusting is true.
I've brought this up before, but at the Capitol in Sacramento, the player with the kill button is not obligated to post and is free to fold pre-flop without contributing to the pot unless otherwise in the blinds. This changes the strategy when having a leg up, since there is no posting requirement.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 PM

I like to play the highest limit game that I think I can beat and have the bankroll for, so I don't really like kill games. Of course, if my options are 4/8 limit or 4/8 with a kill I'll take the kill. If they can get an 8/16, 10/20 or 15/30 going I prefer that.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've brought this up before, but at the Capitol in Sacramento, the player with the kill button is not obligated to post and is free to fold pre-flop without contributing to the pot unless otherwise in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how is this a kill game?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've brought this up before, but at the Capitol in Sacramento, the player with the kill button is not obligated to post and is free to fold pre-flop without contributing to the pot unless otherwise in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how is this a kill game?

[/ QUOTE ]

The stakes are raised on the next hand. And they call it a kill. I agree that it is a pretty strange way to go about having a kill. If you have a better name for it, don't hold back.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 PM

I've played in a 1/5 spread limit stud game with a kill where no one had to post any extra bets. It was just a normal 2/10 game instead.