Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: How badly is the US inciting Islamic hatred against itself?

Gotta love a christian hitting on the Koran for immoral passages
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta love a christian hitting on the Koran for immoral passages

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love a christian agreeing that moderates are part of the problem when it comes to overzealous sects. Dawkins and Harris are nodding along.

luckyme
Old 05-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Interesting stats, and I don't doubt them. But it does leave me curious why they don't publicly decry radical Muslims. Why aren't they more vocally against such practices or try and distance themselves from these radicals?

If the KKK were harassing African Americans in my community, I would go out of my way to let them know these rogue white guys were in the minority and did not represent typcial opinion. Why wouldn't Muslims do the same?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Because muslim teaching says that to disagree means you are no longer a muslim and therefore apostate which is well bad for dem boys.

So if the KKK were doing x but you were an affiliate member of the KKK and subject to the death penalty for speaking out against the KKK, would you really go out of your way to decry their behaviour??? The evidence (from the muslim comparison) says no.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because muslim teaching says that to disagree means you are no longer a muslim and therefore apostate which is well bad for dem boys.

So if the KKK were doing x but you were an affiliate member of the KKK and subject to the death penalty for speaking out against the KKK, would you really go out of your way to decry their behaviour??? The evidence (from the muslim comparison) says no.

[/ QUOTE ]

The KKK was probably a terrible analogy. The only thing I have in common with them is that I'm white (and probably not the "type" of white they consider superior). I mainly meant to illustrate that if I were a member of a group gone wild, I would try to dissassociate myself with them and promote what my group was "really" about.

So you're saying moderate Muslims (the majority), will be cast out of their religion if they denounce terrorism? I would think that since they are the majority, it would be the radicals who would be (should be) cast out. This is what should happen and I wonder why it isn't.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting stats, and I don't doubt them. But it does leave me curious why they don't publicly decry radical Muslims. Why aren't they more vocally against such practices or try and distance themselves from these radicals?

If the KKK were harassing African Americans in my community, I would go out of my way to let them know these rogue white guys were in the minority and did not represent typcial opinion. Why wouldn't Muslims do the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on who you are talking about. There are many Muslim leaders who do speak out against the violence. As far as the governments go, I would guess that they probably don't want to become a target of terror themselves. Politics probably also plays a factor since a significant minority probably are radicalized themselves.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 AM

I was searching for Muslim leaders who have condemned Osama Bin Laden and terrorist attacks. There are too many to include, but these two sites have a good list:

http://www.juancole.com/2005/07/frie...again-and.html

http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php

They include the following people/entities:

The Grand Imam of the Al-Azhar Seminary, Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi. Al-Azhar University in Egypt is the center for Sunni scholarship and apparently whoever holds this position is the leading moral authority for Sunni Muslims.

Sheik Muhammad Hussain Fadlallah, the spiritual leader of Hezbollah, condemns Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda.

Countless Muslim scholars and leaders in countries in the "Western" world.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the mostly silence of the supposed majority, as either de facto support of the radicals, or cowardly appeasement. If the majority of Moslems are agains these radicals, and in fact oppose the imposition of Shari'a by force and the commitment to destroy Israel/the Jews, then they need to SPEAK UP.

[/ QUOTE ]
BluffTHIS,

Do you feel responsible for the spread of AIDS in Africa? Because your support of the Catholic Church is a contributing factor in it.

Similarly, when your government messed in the internal affairs of other sovereign countries (i.e. creating a coup of the democratically elected Iranian government), as they continue to do illegally to this day, did you SPEAK UP against it? If not, you are complicit.

Similarly, when the US government blocks UN resolutions requiring Israel to end its illegal occupation of sovereign lands and human rights violations, did you SPEAK UP about it? If not, you are complicit.

If you don't accept these arguments then I humbly suggest there is some hypocrisy in your position.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I take the mostly silence of the supposed majority, as either de facto support of the radicals, or cowardly appeasement. If the majority of Moslems are agains these radicals, and in fact oppose the imposition of Shari'a by force and the commitment to destroy Israel/the Jews, then they need to SPEAK UP.

[/ QUOTE ]
BluffTHIS,

Do you feel responsible for the spread of AIDS in Africa? Because your support of the Catholic Church is a contributing factor in it.

Similarly, when your government messed in the internal affairs of other sovereign countries (i.e. creating a coup of the democratically elected Iranian government), as they continue to do illegally to this day, did you SPEAK UP against it? If not, you are complicit.

Similarly, when the US government blocks UN resolutions requiring Israel to end its illegal occupation of sovereign lands and human rights violations, did you SPEAK UP about it? If not, you are complicit.

If you don't accept these arguments then I humbly suggest there is some hypocrisy in your position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for posting this, I was going to bring up this point as well. I just wanted a few others to post so I wouldn't monopolize the thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Positional hypocricy is an American birthright. I'm content with it in small measures.