Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Home Tourney Costs

[ QUOTE ]
Would you charge money if you had a party?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would my guests expect the chance to make money at a "party"? Would they always expect me to host the party, on a regular basis?

They are not the same thing, though I agree that a raked game isn't appropriate.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you charge money if you had a party?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would my guests expect the chance to make money at a "party"? Would they always expect me to host the party, on a regular basis?

They are not the same thing, though I agree that a raked game isn't appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I suspose there is a difference somewhat. I'm just against this raking a home game idea. Collecting a rack because you have pass out drinks to those that don't bring it is very wrong. If I show up to the game bringing my own drinks then why should I have to pay for someone elses drinks. Cleaning up after the game or buying a few extra chairs is the cost of hosting to me. The host doesn't have to travell toi the game which the others have to.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:12 PM

You never want to use the word RAKE in the same breath as home game. At least here in the State of Washington if you charge a rake you will fry. You can charge a voluntary donation for food if you want to help offset your costs. I am in the same boat as you guys always hosting the game and footing the bill for food and drink. I finally put a donation box in the room and people are usually pretty good about throwing a few abes in there. Besides I have the best home set up in my town and everyone has a great time.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:19 PM

I host tournaments of of 27-30 players and cash games of 6-9 players. I provide all the food and drink. I tell all my players up front there is no need to bring anything, but some still bring a 6 pack or some snacks on occassion. The really smart ones bring a bottle of wine for the wife (If she doesn't approve the game isn't happening [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

For the tournaments I charge a $5 fee. I keep track of my costs (I spend about $180-$240 on a tourney) and I've adjusted the fee several times as my goal is to just cover the costs. I also have a "donation" jar for players to voluntarily contribute. 18 tournaments so far and I'm about $40 out of pocket.

For the cash games I do not charge but most players will chip in. As it's small and it's more of a friendly game I think of it more like hosting a party. And I wouldn't charge to host a party. (But I also typically don't throw partys every other week or so so I appreciate the players chipping in.) Sometimes I'll be lazy and just order pizza and we all chip in and pay for that.

My reason for providing everything is related to control. I control what type of alcohol is drank. I control the type of food. There is no worry about one player drinking anothers beer. After all, it is my house.

I have never had a complaint about the fee. I would actually say the exact opposite has been my experience. Most players understand how hard I work to put on a great game and are extremely appreciative. And they keep coming back.

In the end I think it's up to each individual as to how you want to run your game, how much you're willing to spend and how much time / effort you're willing to sacrifice for it.