Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Getting started

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TAG, TAG, TAG, Multi Tabling Reg, TAG, crazy 55/35 guy who is actually the best player at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two guys in the stars 10/20 with stats like these who are killing the games playing two tables at a time. There are probably more, but I know of only two.

soda

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, who? PM me if you want. I don't know these guys...
Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TAG, TAG, TAG, Multi Tabling Reg, TAG, crazy 55/35 guy who is actually the best player at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two guys in the stars 10/20 with stats like these who are killing the games playing two tables at a time. There are probably more, but I know of only two.

soda

[/ QUOTE ]

DERB!!! HE'S RETURNED!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:53 PM

I am not sure about this after reading the replies, but still thinking about it. As everyone knows many players have made the switch from FL to NL with good results.

Is it someone here that have played lots of NL and made the switch to FL SH successfully?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:02 PM

I didn't really mean to discourage you, SH limit is a really great game, and once you get hooked it's worse than crack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Not sure how many players make the transition from NL to FL. Many many fewer than the other way around would be my guess.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Any more opinions on the subject, esp. on: Is it someone here that have played lots of NL and made the switch to FL SH successfully?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any more opinions on the subject, esp. on: Is it someone here that have played lots of NL and made the switch to FL SH successfully?

[/ QUOTE ]
You really need to start off playing 0.50/1 and putting in your time in SSSH. Your experience should speed your learning curve but you do need to learn.

One aspect of limit may be especially hard for a NL player. There is very little place in HU LHE pots for "smart" folds. Good limit players make a lot of really "retarded" calldowns. If you have something remotely showable then most of the time you need to show it. Otherwise players will pick up on your weakness and bet you to death. It's a mathematical consequence of the betting structure and very different from no limit.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really need to start off playing 0.50/1 and putting in your time in SSSH. Your experience should speed your learning curve but you do need to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]
0.5/1 huh, really!? I was thinking about 5/10 or maybe 3/6, I have been playing online for 6 about years. Do you others agree with this? What do I "miss" if I skip the levels below 0.5/1-2/4?

Someone stated I should read Millers book, I've done that a while but its mostly for full ring, is it good anyway to reread it if I should give this a try?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:12 AM

Maybe you find this thread very boring but I bump it anyway and hope for some input.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness tho, just be warned that SH limit is *the-ultimate* tilt-monkey breeding ground. A good players edge is pretty small these days and the swings can be soul crushing. You will go through periods where you will seriously question if you will ever win again and you will go through periods when you'll wonder how anyone could possible lose at this game because it seems so goddamn easy. SH limit holdem will make you it's bitch and then make you ask for more. It's a masochist's dream game.

If you still want to learn, read Ed Millers book before Stox's book. Stox's book is excellent but really meant for tougher games than you should be starting at. Jumping in at anything higher than 5/10 is asking for trouble unless you table select extremely well. I don't know what your roll is like but you should be able to find lots of 2/4-5/10 games where you can get your feet wet without risking too much. I would start at a site where you have a good RB deal or WPEX as RB can really help to pull you through your initial learning period.

Good luck.

Edit: you will also be shunned from BBV if you start playing limit, so make sure you weigh that heavily in your decision :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this post, but wpex is absolutely the worst place to start off at limit. There are a dozen sites that are easier and still offer a decent rakeback deal. Those games are tough and aggressive and as a recent limit convert with no experience you are going to get run over.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM

"retarded" calldowns > "smart" folds

lol