Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Is this a good fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me what does it mean by "the pot willl be protected"? Thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone leads out on a street (in a multiway pot) it means they expect to be called. The pot is considered to be protected, especially if there is a shorty that will appear to feel commited.

Usually the term only applies with more players like when SB leads into 5 opponents on the flop. When someone does that they usually are expecting someone to call, so it certainly is never a bluff or even a weak holding (though usually not the nuts.) But in this situation it applies because of the shorty in between you and SB whom SB should expect to call all in on the turn. Therefore he is "protecting" you in that you get to see SB expose more stregth to you than if he lead turn in a HU pot.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me what does it mean by "the pot willl be protected"? Thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone leads out on a street (in a multiway pot) it means they expect to be called. The pot is considered to be protected, especially if there is a shorty that will appear to feel commited.

Usually the term only applies with more players like when SB leads into 5 opponents on the flop. When someone does that they usually are expecting someone to call, so it certainly is never a bluff or even a weak holding (though usually not the nuts.) But in this situation it applies because of the shorty in between you and SB whom SB should expect to call all in on the turn. Therefore he is "protecting" you in that you get to see SB expose more stregth to you than if he lead turn in a HU pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. So the fact that UTG calls the Flop bet by SB means that the pot will be protected on the Turn. So we it is OK not to raise the Flop in this situation. On the Turn, since the pot is protected, we can fold TPTK in this situation since SB leads again and this means strength (even if UTG fold on the Turn). Am I understanding this right?

But if UTG folds on the Flop, is it better to raise or call the Flop? I lean more to raising the Flop.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Even if UTG folded the flop I don't know about raising because how do you respond to a reraise shove? A good player would play 66 that way on this flop. A bad player will play KQ that way. A good or bad player could both play KJ that way (though good player folds this preflop.) But the real tragedy is that he might have another AK and we would be folding a split pot.

The only good part of raising is to "charge" QT, but that's a non-standard SB cold calling hand.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if UTG folded the flop I don't know about raising because how do you respond to a reraise shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he reraise-shoving, I think we can safely fold our TPTK (Although I realize that people could be doing this with AK as well).

I see your point. So if UTG fold on the Flop and we call, we should call his Turn bet and maybe C/F a blank River that doesn't improve us.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if UTG folded the flop I don't know about raising because how do you respond to a reraise shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he reraise-shoving, I think we can safely fold our TPTK (Although I realize that people could be doing this with AK as well).

I see your point. So if UTG fold on the Flop and we call, we should call his Turn bet and maybe C/F a blank River that doesn't improve us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if we were heads up on turn I would call. But since he lead into a shorty whom he expects to call AND me the preflop raiser than this indicates much more strength than if UTG had folded on flop. So even though we are getting better odds to call we now have to beat two hands AND we can assign SB a stronger range.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:20 PM

So if you were SB here, what would your turn-leading hands include? Only sets, straights or two pair?

If you were SB, and you didn't have these hands, you wouldn't lead turn?

Also, everyone folds as played? (I would, but I would have raised flop.)