Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Button raises, SB calls, Q9s in BB

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, lots of conditions have to be close to perfect to risk tournment life on a shove here.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, anyone who uses the phrase "risking your tournament life" should not be allowed to post in this forum.

As far as the rest of your post... if button has been tight from LP you instafold... but if button has been making a standard raise frequently, you instafold as well? WTF? Where is the logic behind your thought process? You seem to be okay at assessing that, yes, the particular players on button and SB matter a lot, but you don't seem to know how to use that information to reach a conclusion about how to play the hand.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM

how often will SB smoothcall a monster here, knowing that stacks are great for you to make a move and hoping you do it? Seems like a pretty good move for him. Even if you dont squeeze he stands a decent chance of getting his stack in ahead against the button.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how often will SB smoothcall a monster here, knowing that stacks are great for you to make a move and hoping you do it? Seems like a pretty good move for him. Even if you dont squeeze he stands a decent chance of getting his stack in ahead against the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pre-Squeeze ... or the Betgo

"I betgoed this lag monkey, who thought he was squeezing me, with my AA last night ... was sweet"
Old 05-24-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DJ,

first order of business is that the SB has to be either a good, thinking player or a bad, unthinking player. if he's some oaf in the middle of the two, he's always reraising aces.

i push this a ton, but that's because Q9s is my favorite hand and cracks aces and kings something like 40% of the time for me. which is fortunate, because i play Q9s like aces and kings.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:12 PM

you are too short with 40k I like.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.. we've got FE. I think perfect stack is like 35k actually.

I shove this a ton. Maybe the tournament scene is changing and I haven't really noticed yet, but IMHO resteals are still awesome, and squeezes doubly so.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:39 PM

I agree with shaun here. You're offering better than 3:2 which means if the button folds there are too many hands in SBs range that could still call expecting to have at least 40% equity versus our shoving range. A few more BBs makes all the difference in the world in what hands SB can still reasonably call with assuming the button folds.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM

What this really comes down to is if SB is more likely to trap here, or if he's just calling because he has a lot of chips and a hand that's not worth reraising.

You should have pretty good equity when called, too. Don't forget that. It's okay to have the worst hand sometimes.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM

I actually pushed. Results later. I wasn't sure whether to push, call, or fold.

Has anyone considered if calling or folding is better? You are getting almost 4-1 pot odds on the call, and this is a pretty good hand to see a flop with. I would be more inclined to push rather than call with A3s or A9s, which play better than Q9s allin, but are hard to play a flop with.

I didn't think I had that much FE. However, I didn't think I was in too bad shape if called.

SB seemed to like to "play poker" and was pretty aggressive postflop. He was an unknown, but his city is "Las Vegas", so he might be a pro. I thought he might flat call rather than push, so I didn't think he was probably trapping.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.. we've got FE. I think perfect stack is like 35k actually.

I shove this a ton. Maybe the tournament scene is changing and I haven't really noticed yet, but IMHO resteals are still awesome, and squeezes doubly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome when they work def but with 40k its all of buttons stack he will have 1k after that so that effects him a lot and it's then half of sbs stack which effects him a lot. Little things like that bother the weaker players.