Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: panic attacks

Dadswell, I've been experiencing derealization for a few weeks but didn't really know what was going on. Thank you for mentioning it and making me look it up, I don't feel at all nervous about it anymore since it's entirely harmless and just a symptom of some anxiety I'm feeling.

I've also become convinced as of today that caffeine is a huge factor in this for me, since I've noticed that every time I've felt derealization I'd had some coffee a couple of hours earlier. Although I have had coffee and had nothing come of it, more often than not I get the feeling. Obviously I'm now going to greatly reduce how often I drink it(which wasn't much at all to begin with) and probably not have any at all until I alleviate the minor anxiety I have right now.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:09 PM

No problem, it took me awhile to figure out exactly what it was as well. Then it took me even longer to figure out what was causing it.

It's pretty strange, the best way for me to describe it is it's almost feels like I am living in a Salvador Dali painting.

Also at times it's like everything is normal but you are walking around with a view of yourself in in the 3rd person. Like a camera behind and above you.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM

I've had them and they are scary as hell.

A couple of things come to mind: as mentioned, caffine plays a huge roll in panic attacks. In addition, I get them more on a day after I've been drinking. Reading up on attacks, I've read where alcohol withdrawl contributes to the symptoms. Tell your girlfriend Xanax works wonders.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM

My advice don't tell her to
"cool her jets"
this had a very bad effect on me & my girlfriend

caffeine any stimulant(sometimes ever pepper) and psycoactive recreational drugs are bad the fact that you haven't seen one is very good she doesn't get them that often. some people get them multiple times a day. If she is only getting a few a year this can be considered well controlled. I agree that coexisting conditions are possible.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:56 AM

OP: I work as a clinical psychologist and have treated many patients with panick attacks and agoraphobia. In my experience a combination of SSRI, as Zoloft, and cognitive behavioral therapy is the way to go. Going easy on stimulants and alcohol is also useful.

How big dose of Zoloft is she taking? How often does she gets panick, and are there in any special situations (you mentioned that she might be agoraphobic). Some of the symptoms she is having isn't typical of panick attacks (ie, passing out) as this is happening when blood pressure drops, but in most forms of anxiety (except blood phobia) it raises, making passing out very difficult. She should check this out with a medical doctor.

If she can't get treatment by a cognitive therapist for some reasons, there are actually many self help boooks that are pretty good for this condition. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 AM

Interesting. I have seen adolescent girls who get similar episodes that end up being labeled "hypoglycemic" events. Normally they carry around a blood glucose monitor for a week or two and never actually have low readings, or else they are borderline low. Best treatment for almos all of them is simply regular, small meals. Never go more than 2-3 hours without eating something (i.e. peanut butter & crackers). It would really be good if she can get some protein & carbs in with each meal or snack - maybe nuts or tofu? It's also certainly possible that her zoloft needs to be bumped. Very common. Not sure exactly how effective psychotherapy is for panic disorders, but I assume it's useful.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if she smokes anything illegal, she should stop that yesterday.

drinking i don't think is a big deal one way or the other.

my gf has extreme anxiety. she's had panic attacks since she was very young. i've seen one of them. the best thing to do is just be yourself and i'm sure youll have a calming effect on her. more importantly though is the right medication. this is though and it took my gf many many years to find the "right" stuff.

i wish you luck,
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

weed is not necessarily bad for anxiety. i know quite a few people who legitimately use it medicinally for that purpose.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 PM

ads- no offense taken man, don't worry. And its obvious how you can get that from the post. I don't think she's high maintenance though, just has this genetic issue. Either way, if she is it hasn't bothered me yet.

gobbomom- thanks for the info/concern. When she gets a panic attack she says she feels very shaky. Sometimes she passes out, but this is rare. Last time, she said she was unconscious for ~3 seconds. Forgot to mention this in the OP, but this thing runs in her family for sure. Her sister has the same issues and her mom and grandma have had them in the past [may still have today, I don't know].

lucksack - I'm not sure that her vegetarianism has anything directly to do with the panic attacks but I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with her being slightly anemic and having a super weak bodily constitution in general. She feels pain and bruises like nobody I've ever met, has the dizziness issues, gets tipsy/high faster than anyone etc. So maybe its unrelated, but I do think stopping being a vegetarian, even if it means only eating fish, would be great for her.

Dcifr- she said last night she was going to stop smoking for a while because she said she's had some panic attacks while high and smoking makes her kind of anxious because of that. Incidentally, I have another friend with panic disorder who takes SSRIs and who also can freak out when high.

dads, zero - thanks for the info about caffeine. In general she loves tea and coffee though I tried to get her to start drinking decaff. Ironically, she wasn't getting panic attacks when she drank coffee every day but when she gave it up to try her homeopathic remedy, she got some infrequently again.

coors- just to be clear you mean that she should take a xanax instead of drinking when she wants to get drunk? I'm not really familiar with xanax.

jack- solid advice in general for dealing with people freaking out. Saying stuff like "calm down" just about always makes things worse. She won't be trying any psychotropics anytime soon, I'm 80%+ sure she would have a bad trip. She's too scared.

KJS/swingdoc- I'll have to talk to her more before getting back to you guys but thanks much. Actually, now that you mention it, I think she's hypoglycemic too. If she hasn't eaten in a while she gets shaky/dizzy.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:55 PM

like others have said, many people seem to be genetically predisposed to getting panic attacks. I have a friend who gets them occasionally, and often times smoking pot triggers them. He really enjoys smoking pot, and while he doesn't like the panic attacks, he just toughs them out. (his may be less severe than your girlfriends as he doesn't pass out.) he gets shaky, and doesn't like to talk when he is having them. They seem to be really [censored], and he is also on zoloft like your girlfriend.

He has told me that the best thing you can do for him when he is having one is just leave him alone. He has described a dark, quiet closet as the best place to get over one. I think any oustide stimuli just makes them worse.

He has a history of addiction in his family, and I have a feeling that addiction and depression are closely tied to anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Seeing a therapist regularly would probably help. I don't suggest adding any more drugs unless the panic attacks become truly unbearable.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
coors- just to be clear you mean that she should take a xanax instead of drinking when she wants to get drunk? I'm not really familiar with xanax.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Ja, not at all. Xanax is a sedative. When you get a panic attack and think you're dying, and having a heart attack or going crazy, taking a Xanax calms you down and makes the world seem right again. I understand they are pretty addictive though.