Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: sittin with my entire live roll at 10-20 w/half kill

Playing that game with that bankroll regularly is not smart unless you're a rec player that likes to go to the ATM. Now, if your "effective bankroll," what you're willing to add to your bankroll to maintain it, is more like 5k, then go for it. But if the sum of your live bankroll is $500, then you risk of ruin is about 90%.

You took your shot. You broke even. That isn't a win -- all it does is encourage you to play regularly and underfunded.

I play in a game like this. It is very easy to win long term, but highly volatile from session to session. In fact, I wouldn't go to that game with less than $1500. Don't count of keeping that $500 roll.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM

If you have a job that pays enough so that you can replenish your roll, then don't listen to these nits and hit the boat. Compared to most games online which suck, if you care about money you might as well play in a medium stakes game against what sounds like total retards. Obv. you are not too likely to avoid having to replenish with 15-20bb but who cares about that?
All this assumes you are actually a good winning player at omaha 8.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:37 PM

It sounds like you have accepted your potential busto fate like a Samurai warrior going off to challenge the Ninja army. If that is true, then more power to you. It truly does sound like this is money you want to splash around with to see what you can do. The mad chemist's laboratory, if you will. Just wear a mask so when the bad chemical combo blows in your face you won't lose more than your roll. Go for it, if you've pre-accepted the consequences.

I'd almost argue that in this situation the ROR for his $417 roll is way closer to 100% than 90%... but hey he knows what he's in for. If I see someone sitting down at PLO8 or LO8 with $417, I'm sitting to your left and re-raising you often!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:39 AM

I wasn't being a nit. I agree in full with the last 2 posters. If you can play -- and if anything you read here has sunk in, you can compared to the game you've found -- then you'll be fine in the long term. In the short term, expect some frustrating nights, and don't risk the rent money.

Just know what you're getting into.