Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Default questions on NLTRN play

1) I see that most of the time when people think they have the best hand on the river, they just move in, betting like 3 or 4 time the pot whereas I just value bet close to the pot. What do you think is the best thing to do?

2) When I have a good hand on the button preflop, I bet the pot whereas when i'm not on the button I just miniraise if the button limps. I do that cause im oop obviously, what do you think ?

3)I just started doing a continuation bet when I raise preflop of exacly half the pot, doesn't matter if I hit or not (and of course sometimes i'll check behind if I hit or if I missed to mix things up). The reason for that is that most of the time, people will fold and if they just hit something and they call and you completly missed, then you get away for cheep. Plus it makes it seems like you're stealing everytime and tend to put people on tilt which is good when you do hit. The problem I see with this is that it give people a good price to draw but if they have a draw they'll usually take on card and go to the turn anyway so I don't think it's that much of a drawback. Again, what do you think ?

edit: I know i'm not supposed to ask general question but i just wanted to check if what I do is somewhat correct.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: questions on NLTRN play

1- Play more. You'll find that this not true at all. Most river bets are not all in.

2- Completely backwards. You should raise more OOP because you don't mind as much if they fold.

3- c-bets are good. 1/2 pot every time? I like to vary it, usually going with 2/3 pot, but different ppl play different styles. (also, you should sometimes check behind. C-betting every flop isn't optimal, although I think it would be better than only betting made hands.)
Old 05-22-2007, 01:45 PM

ok maybe I didn't explain myself properly:

1: I meant when someone has the nut or 2nd nut (which happen rarely) they move all in overbetting the pot whereas I just value bet.

2:should work on that

3: "and of course sometimes i'll check behind if I hit or if I missed to mix things up"
Old 05-22-2007, 01:52 PM

1) I think overbetting is bad except in rare circumstances (i.e. QJ on 789T board)

2) This is bad OOP. Nobody should fold to a min raise on the button. You need to charge them more to make up for your bad position.

3) I like 1/2 pot cb's for exactly these reasons.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM

2) well the reason for miniraise oop is that i want to get more money in the pot so I have something to work with since im probably gonna win it over the long run, however, if I raise more than the pot the vilain is going to limp at some point with a big hand and when the blind get bigger I'm gonna lose quit a lot when he reraise whereas if i minraised, I don't mind folding to a reraise.
When I min raise preflop I don't expect anyone to fold, I just want to get more money in the pot cause I most likely have the best hand.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Therar - Minraising OOP is bad because position negates a lot of post flop advantage or disadvantage in HU. You don't want to minraise because any decent player is going to call with any two cards to your minraise preflop. If you are doing this a lot you are just making the pot bigger with a ton of hands and having to play OOP postflop where you should not be as profitable post flop.

If you are doing this rarely you are just giving away free information. I generally raise limps in the BB semi-rarely and when I do I raise 3.5-4x the limp. There are certain players you have to adjust to, like the players that limp AT-AK type hands frequently, but you can usually get a decent idea of their limp-call range to a 3.5-4x bet fairly early on in the match and play accordingly.

To soop - Overbetting is such a great tool to use in HU play. I would not say it is completely rare for me to overbet/all in on the river at my level of play (33s) but it is definitely not an every game occurrence.

The most profitable type of situation for me to overbet-shove in is when my hand is pretty well disguised. A lot of times it is when I am the aggressor in a raised pot with an OESD on a 2 flush board. I fire two barrels and the flush misses on the river, I overbet shove if I've hit my straight and get called pretty wide, only slightly more narrow than I would be called with a pot sized bet I think.

There are obviously other situations but it really seems like a very player specific situation, for me at least.

Also, this is something I feel I've improved at as I've played more matches and at higher levels.

Edit:

Another situation where an overbet shove works well is when you get a player to commit a little too much into the pot on the turn, say the pot going into the turn is 200, villain has 1k behind, you bet out 200 and he calls with something like second pair on a two flush or a two straight type board, or an underboard in a raised pot that he is half thinking you missed and are firing two with air. You go into the river with a 600 pot when he has 800 behind, you fire out 800. I find this is called a ton from certain players, especially when they have lost a few hands in the match and are getting frustrated by your play. People seem to like to think in tilty type situations "well if he missed his flush or had AK he did not hit, he overbet, I think I'm going to call" etc.

Anyways, those are a few situations I find overbet-shove on the river moves to be more profitable compared to pot or near potting the river. I just used a fairly random stack size and pot size for the second example, as it isn't that important to the argument/view on the matter.