Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Is it time to gradute to higher stakes?

[ QUOTE ]
Grind up until you reach 350bb AT LEAST for .25/.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

250-300BB is fine as long as you move down when needed...Agressive bankroll management to get out the penny tables is the way to go imho, why would you want to stunt your growth with pretty over-the-top BR requirements? Even if you have to move back down moving up will get you a feel for the play & swings at your next level + when you run bad at 2/4 (personal example) and loose 100BB it'll be easier to play your best at 1/2 even when you're down 80BB or smth
Old 05-20-2007, 03:35 PM

Well, I've had a 170bb swing at .25/.5 in a little over a day 4tabling. OP won't do that, agree. However, variance will be a bitch at that level too, because they're still loose-passive as hell.
Also, if he's still in the mindframe that another 1000 hands will reveal anything interesting about his play, he's likely not put in a lot of hands. In poker, you need discipline and a lot of patience - best to develop early.

It's his $$$ and he can do whatever he likes, but I don't think it matters much money-wise whether he sticks to .05/.1 for another 4k hands or so and he'll have a somewhat better idea about his play than now.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I hit 300BB for the next level, I auto-move there, and drop down if I hit 200BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol Yikes. I shudder at the thought of having less than 1000bb behind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Back when I was playing 5/10 seriously I think my br peaked at like $1800 (I was cashing out frequently and if I had a downswing I'd just move down and grind it back at 3/6 and 2/4)
Old 05-20-2007, 10:39 PM

I recognize the value of PT, and I know that most serious online poker players consider this a must.

Let me tell you a little of my reasoning for not getting it. I can buy books, and read the forums, but for me to practice applying the techniques I learn, I need to play hands. And the limits are cheap at bodog. And the players are soft. And the 100% tourney credits at $100 dollars are alot of free hands to practice, as well.

I know that I can learn to improve my game on the very poor players at bodog without having to worry about crushing my BR to do so. Some think that having to redeposit is a way of life in a beginning players BR, but I am a college student working two jobs to feed me and the kitty and the landlord's kid. So money is at a premium. It dosn't mean I don't take it seriously, I would just like to take it a little slower when I have the oppourtunity to learn on soft tables.

Also, I feel like PT could become a crutch, and after being sent to a good note-taking system from nomadxxx, the active note taking shown there can teach me to become stronger on the fly. So, delaying PT could help me develop quicker, which is my initial goal for this summer.

Also, in a perfect world, my winnings from .05/.1 and .25/.50 this summer will pay for PT when I decide to leave bodog.

What do you think Kerowo? Should I ditch bodog for another room that has easy to beat low limits and get PT? I trust your judgement, along with a good group of other helpful posters here at the micro limits, and if you convince me, Ill burn through my tourney credits and re-up somewhere else.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 PM

PokerStars is the higest volume online poker room. Their very good to the players and the tables are nice and squishy soft. I have never played Bodog though so I can't comment on the comparison at your level.

I agree with not becoming so relient on PT that it's all #'s as a matter of fact I don't think you need a heads up stats display. But PT is so useful for reviewing hands.

Getting in a lot of experience at the tables is key. But it's also important to look over the hands you played and learn from those mistakes. That is why I would recomend Poker Tracker and moving to a PT freindly site, for a new player like yourself
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM

Of course PT is a crutch, but to stretch the metaphore to the breaking point, you need a crutch to help you walk right now. Also it is one of the best tools out there to help analyze your game so you can see where you are making mistakes.

The 300bb number is to reduce the risk of going busto, since you don't have a lot of extra cash to re-load with you need to be more conservative with your bank roll management.

Download the PT demo and look at 1000 hands and see what you learn about your play, if that doesn't convince you nothing I say will.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 AM

play where you are at untill you are a consistant winner.
dont skip a level.
i prefer 10bi to play a level but at micros your probly allright with 6-8.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize the value of PT, and I know that most serious online poker players consider this a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of them. Particularly when doing session reviews PT is a must, as you need it to replay hands of your partner (and of course your own). I also use it as a tool to identify the leaks in my game.

Don't spend your hard-earned winnings of the summer, get it for free as an incentive from the affiliate of your choice, after you tested the free 1K-version.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:45 AM

Havn't read much of this thread...but..

meh, don't listen to these pussies. fritos 1000bb srsly? for me what it comes down to is how much and comfortable you are with losing money.

what im saying is, if you can afford to lose 500 bets (at whatever level), then play that, you will learn over time and your winrate will improve, it might just be expensive which is why most players start at the nanos.

I have (and i probably currently am) played above what my skill level dictates. If you can handle the thought of losing money and have the disipline to move down before you go busto, you can make it.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, what im saying is: If you dont mind losing $5000 learning to play, go play 5/10. If you can only afford to lose $20, start at 2c/4c.

Play at stars, get pokertracker.

[ QUOTE ]

play where you are at untill you are a consistant winner.
dont skip a level.
i prefer 10bi to play a level but at micros your probly allright with 6-8

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 AM

I'm not 100% agreeing that you need to beat a level to do well above it - though it's logical and reasonable enough.

I actually lost a couple of hundred at 50/1 but have overtaken that considerably at 1/2 ( some 6Max )

I took a shot (thanks for that Buzz) at 1/2 after realising that the low stakes were actually a reason that I wasn't concentrating enough on the game. I moved up to put a bit of adrenalin in it , if you like.

I add that I am playing with a >1500 dollar roll so I'm well inside my comfort level in that regard.