Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Do you say something to your opponent?

Philo,

There's an obvious difference in mentality for someone who is super concerned with knocking people out when you're not in the money. When it's in the money, why would he not change his thinking? Also, there's obviously no reason to say anything here, especially considering he's much closer to right than you are.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Only time I really point out flaws is if I like the guy and am feeling chatty (maybe not so +EV behaviour but hey I like a friendly game). Other times I'll chat is when someone is warning me against leaning on him or something. It's useful to play into this frustration I find =)
Old 05-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Best advise is to make the donks feel comfortable and welcome at your table - and make them want to play more poker. Without them it would be very tough for the rest of us to beat the rake!

Please remember this when you get sucked out!! Tell him 'nice hand' or 'nice play'. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It did not cost him anything to get you to fold and depending on the stacks it might benefit him to have shorty around for an orbit or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

never really considered this before. what type of situations would this be useful in?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Philo,

...especially considering he's much closer to right than you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you know this without knowing what the stack sizes were and what the blinds were?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't try and educate the opposition, but if you were in this situation would you explain to him what he did wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

a) If you improve an opponent's skill, his long-term EV will increase.

b) Thus, your long-term EV will decrease.

c) Is this not obvious?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It did not cost him anything to get you to fold and depending on the stacks it might benefit him to have shorty around for an orbit or two. He actually might need to say something to you (for education purposes).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this occasionally, but the stack has to be perfect, something like 9000 to 4400 to 100 so I really don't care if short stack triple up a few times. but usually it should be done with a bad hand and pushes OP out of the hand preflop though.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 AM

because you called one guy the big stack one guy the small stack, and then yourself, as implied middle stack. then you said there was a small bet that made you fold, and that that bet was "small for him." so either you weren't potstuck, or you're an idiot. i was giving you the benefit of the doubt. if you're in the money, there's obvious benefit to cleaning up your outs. this benefit is reduced when you are on the bubble, and it is more frequently correct to check hands down when you have a good draw, or just ace high, or bottom pair, etc. however, since the failure of information is because you didn't provide the information, i don't see what right you have to get persnickity about it.

if i might rephrase your last post, "How do you expect us to respond to your original post in any meaningful way since you didn't give us stack sizes, or blind sizess?"

my point is that there are many times when his play just can't be that wrong, given that he is a big stack, his bet is small for him, you are in the money, etc. so people who go forward with the idea of "omg never bluff dry sidepots omg," really shouldn't be going around feeling superior to their opponents who bluff dry sidepots in appropriate spots. they shouldn't, because it is likely they would just be making an ass of themselves due to being wrong.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Down to 3 players in a low stakes sit-n-go...the small stack goes all-in pre-flop, and I call and the big stack calls. We check the flop, then he bets the turn. I fold A-9 UI, and I see that he has 10-9 and is on a straight draw. He misses the straight on the river and the small stack triples up with K-J UI.

I asked him why he bet and he said, "it was a small bet for me." I generally don't try and educate the opposition, but if you were in this situation would you explain to him what he did wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just be glad that for every time he bluffs a dry side pot and it costs you, he will will bluff when you're the all-in shorty and cost somebody else...

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Down to 3 players in a low stakes sit-n-go...the small stack goes all-in pre-flop, and I call and the big stack calls. We check the flop, then he bets the turn. I fold A-9 UI, and I see that he has 10-9 and is on a straight draw. He misses the straight on the river and the small stack triples up with K-J UI.

I asked him why he bet and he said, "it was a small bet for me." I generally don't try and educate the opposition, but if you were in this situation would you explain to him what he did wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just be glad that for every time he bluffs a dry side pot and it costs you, he will will bluff when you're the all-in shorty and cost somebody else...

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.
This is just like any other mistake bad players make, let them make them.