Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Choose Strength....not Weakness...

If I do ever get married, I'm going to want a pre-nup that insulates (at least) my retirement monies.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ALL women are not completely unreasonable, ridiculous, and illogical

[/ QUOTE ]

just kidding. sort of.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ALL women are not completely unreasonable, ridiculous, and illogical

[/ QUOTE ]

just kidding. sort of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does Mr. Spock have five o'clock shadow and zits badly covered up by makeup?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:01 PM

^^^ Since HD tv came around, obv.

OP - this whole thread smacks of a bad idea coming to fruition. Unless you're a rock/movie/tv star, or possibly a lotto winner, thoughts of marriage probably shouldn't automatically lead to thoughts of a pre-nup. If your view of finances is so drastically different than your gf's, that whole realm of your lives should really be discussed and sorted out before the two of you seriously talk about marriage. What, 50% of marriages end in divorce? And some huge % of those cite financial disagreements as a major contributing cause ...

To help answer your question, though - a pre-nup can literally have any sort of rules that you want to set up. You can protect previous assets completely or in part. You can set up protection for future earnings any way that you want to. Normally several factors, like children, number of years married, etc are included. Talk to your local lawyer about specifics and any regional differences.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sucks to know that so many men automatically approach us with this mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mindset with which most women approach men isn't any better. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're a rock/movie/tv star, or possibly a lotto winner, thoughts of marriage probably shouldn't automatically lead to thoughts of a pre-nup.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should get a pre-nup if you're a dish washer IMO. Merging your life with someone is a very big and potentially dangerous thing, and with the ridiculously poor way the legal system handles things, you simply can't have too much protection.

Actually, you shouldn't even get a government marriage at all. Why the hell would anyone willingly want to get the government involved in their love life?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:09 PM

>any regional differences

...like their being unenforcable in the UK, for instance.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM

The way my lawyer explained it to me for the most part, if its a good one, then it mostly protects u for ur worth "before" the marriage. So anything you "bring" into the marriage is pretty much supposed to be safe. Its what u accumulate after that u have to worry about in most situations (this is again all dependent on how iron clad the pre nup is)
Old 05-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Pre-nuptial agreements, ermmm....yes surely?

[ QUOTE ]
Put another way, if A and B meet aged 32 having earned exactly the same but with A having been a big spender and B a big saver so that B has $200k, say, and A has nothing (purely on account of having spent it along the way) then is that $200k potentially split if they marry and then get divorced? I know it depends on legal wranglings etc but any info would be appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]In a community property state, in general, A is not entitled to any of the $200k.

Life isn't usually that simple though. E.g., the same A and B get married and buy a house. B puts down $100k and they pay for the rest of the mortgage using their joint income.

$50k is put in a mutual fund that both A and B have equal access to. Both A and B make several deposits and withdrawals each year. Some withdrawals are for joint expenses, some are for gifts to each other.

The remaining $50k is used to start a business that A runs. They're together for ten years, the business is a huge success.

A and B have "grown apart" and want a divorce. A wants half the house sale proceeds and asserts the business belongs to him/her. Now it's a lot more difficult to figure out who's money belongs to whom.

B could keep the $200k in a separate account and never allow any community funds to touch that account, but that's not exactly romantic.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Pre-nuptial agreements, ermmm....yes surely?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. Telling her that I WILL NOT marry her or anyone else ever without a pre-nuptial agreement might have been difficult, but I have solved it:

I am a business owner, and have a business partner. Therefore, I will LIE MY ASS OFF and say that it is included in my partnership agreement that neither of us may marry without a pre-nuptial agreement. The ostensible reason will be that my business partner and I decided as we were starting that we need to insulate ourselves against the other's potential spouse.

I honestly think this was just barely short of genius.