Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: PL25: Top set OOP multiway

[ QUOTE ]
Related concept: say I'm OOP with something like KTT9 or something and call a button raise and take a flop 3 ways with me first to act. If I flop middle set here on a dry board like AT2 or something I really like a flop bet here, because if I check raise the preflop raiser I'm making the pot way too big for my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does a check raise on the flop make the pot to big for your hand..arent you are significantly enough ahead to make it relatively expensive for him to draw out on you
Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM

I will try a ceck raise here in nearly 100% first to act and with 5 guys acting behind of me. Maybe a small bet with the intention to come over the top, if someone raises your weak bet is also a good choice.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does a check raise on the flop make the pot to big for your hand..arent you are significantly enough ahead to make it relatively expensive for him to draw out on you

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of it is game dependent, but what I mean is that a lot of times

a) a bet out will win the pot if preraiser has missed
b) a check will
1) get checked behind if raiser has missed and now your hand can get
hard to play OOP on the turn
2) get bet and then folded to your check raise so win twice the pot
3) get bet and then your cr gets reraised when you are beat and you lose an
extra 3xpot at least when u.r. crushed.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have a hand that can win a smallish pot, but if the pot gets big you probably arent going to win it. notice the example dry flop AT2 rainbow is pretty contrived for illustrative purposes, eg, the only hand that you're gonna get heat from is AA.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of a better way to explain my thinking here , not that it means I'm right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It seems to me that if you flop middle set aginst preflop raiser like in the example I gave you kinda want to play it limit holdem style where you protect your hand and not give free cards and win the pot right there.

Now normally you are trying to to play no limit holdem style where you are trying to win the guys stack, get all your money in as a favorite. But if you play middle set that way and try to play for stacks, the only time you're actually gonna play for stacks is when youre badly beat, at least on the made up example board I put up.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you play middle set that way and try to play for stacks, the only time you're actually gonna play for stacks is when youre badly beat, at least on the made up example board I put up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but in all cases you would consider your others cards as outs or blockers at least. In the dry board example, you would get action from KQJ type hands, whcih gives the villian in question circa 8 outs and your middle set is miles ahead.

I agree that playing middle set OOP is difficult to play. I tend to check raise in this position in order to win the pot there and then and not to build a large unplayable pot on the turn.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:36 AM

For those looking to think about pot control, NLTAP has a pretty decent section (just adapt the concepts to PLO obv). I think TOP also has a small section on it, though less comprehensive.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that playing middle set OOP is difficult to play. I tend to check raise in this position in order to win the pot there and then and not to build a large unplayable pot on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the players I like to play against seem to autocall my checkraise though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2007, 05:48 PM

There is an excellent post stickied in the MTT forum called "an anthology of wisdom", several excellent posts in there that can be applied over multiple platforms. There is an excellent discussion regarding controlling pot size as well as getting paid off. Highly recommended reading.