Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Wedding band (ring) question

[ QUOTE ]
what is tungsten, or wolfram

[/ QUOTE ]
Muahaha. I'm ashamed to admit that I got that one.

I've got a titanium ring. As mentioned by someone else, just go and try on different rings. Best way to get an idea what you want.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that ring-cutters can't get through tungsten? The guy I know wearing tungsten was really proud of this fact. (And is ready to lose a finger if he gets into a car accident.) After he left the room, a friend informed us that this was a myth. What gives?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy you know lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY?

Q. Can a tungsten ring be sized?
A. Tungsten rings CANNOT be sized like a gold, silver, or platinum ring. The metal is too hard for conventional jewelers' tools.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that ring-cutters can't get through tungsten? The guy I know wearing tungsten was really proud of this fact. (And is ready to lose a finger if he gets into a car accident.) After he left the room, a friend informed us that this was a myth. What gives?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy you know lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY?

A. Tungsten rings CANNOT be sized like a gold, silver, or platinum ring. The metal is too hard for conventional jewelers' tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES RLY.

Can a Tungsten ring be cut off?
Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where there might be a medical necessity to cut off or remove a tungsten ring--for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc.,--removing a tungsten ring doesn’t pose much more of a challenge than cutting through a gold or platinum wedding band. In our own jewelry shop, as in many other jewelry shops, we have a cutting tool designed for cutting titanium and tungsten wedding bands. In addition, tungsten bands can be fractured into pieces using vise-grip pliers. When we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to remove tungsten wedding bands in an emergency, they told us that most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and assured us that it would be no problem for them.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 PM

I wanted a titanium band, but my wife was scared to death of the whole 'lose a finger because it is uncuttable' thing. I ended up with platinum (which I like better than white gold).
Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted a titanium band, but my wife was scared to death of the whole 'lose a finger because it is uncuttable' thing. I ended up with platinum (which I like better than white gold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Ti band, after having a gold band. It's lighter, more durable and just looks better. I highly recommend them.

Did you take a look at Palladium?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ORLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES RLY.

Can a Tungsten ring be cut off?
Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where there might be a medical necessity to cut off or remove a tungsten ring--for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc.,--removing a tungsten ring doesn’t pose much more of a challenge than cutting through a gold or platinum wedding band. In our own jewelry shop, as in many other jewelry shops, we have a cutting tool designed for cutting titanium and tungsten wedding bands. In addition, tungsten bands can be fractured into pieces using vise-grip pliers. When we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to remove tungsten wedding bands in an emergency, they told us that most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and assured us that it would be no problem for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your information does not suit my purpose, therefore I choose to ignore it.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Ti band, after having a gold band. It's lighter,...

[/ QUOTE ] Is the weight seriously a consideration here? They both weigh insignificant amounts unless you're getting a huge ring.

I have a white gold band with yellow gold edges. I never wanted a shiny ring so I had them sand blast (or whatever they actually use) the outside. I like it and never have to worry about scratches.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Dudes should get plain $90 white gold bands if they are looking for silver colored wedding rings. Men lose their rings far more often. Spend your money someplace else. Chicks get the bling, dudes get the basics.

Peace,

KennyBanya
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dudes should get plain $90 white gold bands if they are looking for silver colored wedding rings. Men lose their rings far more often. Spend your money someplace else. Chicks get the bling, dudes get the basics.

Peace,

KennyBanya

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't looked at the prices of Titanium bands, have you?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the weight seriously a consideration here? They both weigh insignificant amounts unless you're getting a huge ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly it was. I would never wear my ring because I hated always feeling it on my finger. I'd never worn jewelry prior to getting my band, so it really bothered me.