Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Dropoff on GPA from HS to College - Standard?

Depends a lot on your program, if the average kid in your program got 90s in high school it would make sense that your going to drop down once they start bell curving.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 PM

I attend Nicholls St. University, and right now I'm in General Studies, but I'm going to make a decision about my major in the next 6 months.

I think some of it was leftover "senioridis", what we like to call it when seniors in hs slack. Also, having the option to go to class or not may have affected me. I skipped a few, but I also took adequate notes and kept up with what I missed for the most part. I think it might have been harder courses along with getting used to studying more. In HS, I hardly had to study and I made A's and B's. I'm starting to realize that in college, it doesn't just happen like that for everyone. This semester it went down a lot. The previous semester (my first one), I had a 3.25. I think it's time to buckle down next semester. Any tips on minimizing procrastination? Also, if I missed any questions, just repeat them. I really appreciate the replies. Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 AM

Don't let this get you down. I had a 3.0 after my freshman year and ended up graduating summa cum laude. Like others have been saying, it's only one year and it's so easy to pick up. Stay focused.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:14 AM

My grades went way up, but I also put more effort into college than high school. I have one friend who graduated 3rd in his class but then went completely busto in college, so it varies.

Def not standard tho
Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 AM

I don't know if your situation is normal but I'm in the same boat as you OP.

My grades have gone to [censored] since I got to college. I had a 3.5 in HS with very minimal effort. I just finished my junior year in college and I have a 2.8. This can be attributed to a few things, my first semester of college I didn't do anything and my GPA sucked hard so I dug my self a hole from the start. My major, chemistry, is very tough. Generals suck, this is where most of my bad grades come from, if a topic doesn't interest me I just can't force myself to put any effort into the class. My major GPA is over 3.0 but my GPA in gen ed classes is somewhere around 2.5 even though those classes are way easier than any class I've had to take for my major.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:08 AM

Mine went up ~.5. Of course, I went from no effort at all to effort necessary to get B+s (and luckbox some As)
Old 05-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Nice MSPaint Smiley. Only problem is that I also played poker my whole senior year of high school and still maintained a 3.5. Though, poker does coincide with some of my study time. I think I also need better time management.

CheckRaise, I'm glad you know what I'm goin through from the experience point of view (that's not really a good thing, but it's good to get some insight).

I think I need to stay focused more like PRE said and just buckle down come next semester. Thanks again for the replies. It adds confidence to my thinking towards school.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Probably been said before, but college is harder, you'll probably have more freedom (distractions), and your Mom can't tell you to do the work -- you have to tell yourself to do the work. If you can't find a reason to put in any effort, you're screwed!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 PM

yes and no. in HS, AP classes often get heavily weighted so most top HS students have 4.5+ GPAs.

I had a 4.5+GPA in HS and "dropped" in college when I graduated with a 3.96. (engineer) However, the 3.96 was out of 4.00 and I probably did better grade-wise.

If you compare raw letters and you went to a good HS, then there should be little change. If you compare raw letters and went to a poor HS (almost every single HS in the USA is lousy) then a freshman year drop is no surprise