Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 AM

Default Re: 100NL: J9 suited combo draw

[ QUOTE ]
I strongly prefer just making it about $70 to go here. You give your opponent a chance to make a huge mistake and just call with an overpair then check the turn. Happens pretty rarely, but often enough to make it more profitable than shoving. Making it $70 also has at least as much FE as shoving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe i'm missing something, but on this flop we shove and want a call from AA.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is at 16/10 after about 100 hands. I called this in position because I figure if I hit big I'll stack his overpair, which I'm pretty sure he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do after pf if we hit a standard flush draw flop of T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I ask because I'm curious as to what you mean by hitting a big flop? Is it more than 9 outs - because the chance of that is so low that you are way -EV without another way to make the money up, and to do that I think we have to raise flop and play for stacks here every time. And I do think this is fine vs a light 3-better of which 16/10 is definitely not.

PF is a huge spew for 125bb
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I strongly prefer just making it about $70 to go here. You give your opponent a chance to make a huge mistake and just call with an overpair then check the turn. Happens pretty rarely, but often enough to make it more profitable than shoving. Making it $70 also has at least as much FE as shoving.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're missing something: although you're a (very slight!) favourite over AA, you gain more by him folding than him calling due to the money already in the pot.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're missing something: although you're a (very slight!) favourite over AA, you gain more by him folding than him calling due to the money already in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we want a call from AA. We are about 56% to beat AA, and he will be getting ~1.7:1 which means he only needs to win ~36%, meaning calling is profitable for him. If calling is profitable for him then we want him to fold.

I like dire's line. If he pushes the flop, or pushes the turn, then it's just the same as us getting AI on the flop - we still get 2 cards for the same $. But occasionally we get to save $30 or $40. Although if you think that he might fold some hands to a push but not to a solid raise, then push it.

This is weird i don't think i've ever really used this line, and it sounds so good thinking about it now. I feel like i'm missing something...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Ok yes, I realise now that preflop is pretty gross but let's just forget that for now.
Suppose we make it $70 to go and the turn completely blanks, do we shove? Similarly, if he forces us all in, do we call instantly? Is there any slight reason to fold this?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok yes, I realise now that preflop is pretty gross but let's just forget that for now.
Suppose we make it $70 to go and the turn completely blanks, do we shove? Similarly, if he forces us all in, do we call instantly? Is there any slight reason to fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You take the free card if you can. That's the entire point of the line. You save $40 sometimes when your opponent goes passive and you blank the turn and river. You have no reason to shove the turn since you have zero FE and have less than 50% equity.

If he does something like call the flop and shove the turn then it's a clear call.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While shoving and getting called is profitable, it's the least profitable of your options. You make the most when he folds. You make the next most when he calls $70 and then checks the turn letting you take a free card. And you make the least when you shove and he calls, or identically you make it $70 - he shoves and you call.