Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Worst kicker

in my games of late, aggression, blind stealing, and so on have become more important so that's what i'm thinking about more lately as i post.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mp2 and 3 are not spots to steal blinds from unless the table is really, really tight, in which case if you get called or raised you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should not be open-folding broadway anythings from MP3. Even if your opponents are loose, that doesn't mean that they're any good and you still get plenty of value from them with a hand this good.

Hand 1 is close for me but folding hand 2 is just ridiculous against typical weak opposition. If they're THAT loose then limp and try to get paid off when you flop a pair.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM

BBB, first off using "save the micros" for advising not to raise JTo or QTo from mp on an unknown table is a gross missaplication of that phrase. I would suggest you run as fast as you can into the corner of a table to simulate the kick in the nuts such a mis-use deserves but I would figure that's just the meds talking.

Some back ground. I'm playing .25/.50 on Stars where you are more likely to get called down with any part of the board than to get a top pair weak kicker hand to fold to aggression.

I'm going to stick with these hands not being +EV to raise first in from MP in a full ring game against a table of unknowns. Especially for people just starting out. Primarily because post flop decisions become much more difficult playing these hands out of position. Of course there are situations where you can raise these hands profitably from any postion, but the OP wasn't in one and probably doesn't have the experience to make that play standard. If you are comfortable playing those hands go ahead, but don't underestimate where you are in your poker career vs the OP.

I'm rambling because the celebrex and oxycodone have kicked in and my hips feel fuzzy so I'll just drift off into a haze and hope I hit the continue button before my laptop runs out of juice.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM

hand 1:

either 3bet the flop or raise the turn. (if we didnt pick up a gutshot on the turn i would be fine with waiting til the river to raise)

hand 2:

he probly has a gutshot so c/c the river for bluff induction. we may even get a cheap showdown vs QJ/KJ
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Nice posts BBB, but if the table is a bit loose, which I think 0.25/.50 sometimes is, then I would prefer to at least be in the CO to open raise with those hands.

Anyway, I think OP played both hands fine postflop.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 AM

actually the TJo raise preflop is pretty bad too, just let it go
Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 AM

kerowo, good point, not that i am super good but you're right that i probably take some things for granted that he or another beginner doesn't, just as say wookie or shill or joetall or whoever take a lot of things for granted that i am still struggling with.

for a starting beginner i agree with you that a solid range is good. and yes, i haven't ever played on stars except once a year or whenever they have their bonuses, and i haven't played .25/.50 recently so i am not super qualified to comment on the texture of those games.

apologies if i came across harsh as i wasn't trying to offend.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 AM

the save the micros thing was more in response to you because you have a ton of posts and i know you're a solid player and you should be pushing those edges [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kerowo, good point, not that i am super good but you're right that i probably take some things for granted that he or another beginner doesn't, just as say wookie or shill or joetall or whoever take a lot of things for granted that i am still struggling with.

for a starting beginner i agree with you that a solid range is good. and yes, i haven't ever played on stars except once a year or whenever they have their bonuses, and i haven't played .25/.50 recently so i am not super qualified to comment on the texture of those games.

apologies if i came across harsh as i wasn't trying to offend.

[/ QUOTE ]

BBB, no apologies needed, you're right that talking and thinking about these situations is more important than trying to come up with a cookie cutter, dare I say "bot like" approach.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to stick with these hands not being +EV to raise first in from MP in a full ring game against a table of unknowns. Especially for people just starting out. Primarily because post flop decisions become much more difficult playing these hands out of position. Of course there are situations where you can raise these hands profitably from any postion, but the OP wasn't in one and probably doesn't have the experience to make that play standard. If you are comfortable playing those hands go ahead, but don't underestimate where you are in your poker career vs the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say the blinds are loose and the other guys rockish. Would raising be ok, or do you want everyone to be tight and passive?