Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: how do you do your HIIT?

Not really "true" HIIT mother but then again it is hard to do it on a treadmill in general b/c of having to allow the 10-15seconds for the treadmill to speed up. Your sprint times are to long imo as you arent really going all out but more pacing yourself which isnt getting you up to the highest level you could get to with shorter bursts.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 PM

Your sprints should be at <4 min mile pace for most avg athletic people. So 15+ mph would be a better sprinting pace.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Ever ran on a treadmill Thremp? That is crazy fast...and I bet the majority of people couldn't go 15 MPH without falling flat on their face.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:06 PM

15 on a treadmill is pretty dangerous. I dont even think they go up that high. Nice ones i have been on only go to 12 I think.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM

the treadmills at my gym (24 hr) only go to 10 and some of them seem to have minds of their own, choosing their own speed no matter what i tell them...10 is a fast run, something like 12 would prob be tops for what i could do and feel safe...
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM

I always feel like a douche running really fast on a treadmill. It's really loud and everyone looks at you and stuff. I usually just run outside, or if I run on treadmill just walk on incline then jog on flat.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really loud and everyone looks at you and stuff

[/ QUOTE ] So true. When the treadmill ramps up from 4MPH to 12MPH it starts whining and you'll definitely gets some stares. Max speed I've seen on a treadmill at my health club is 12.5MPH, so 4:48 mile pace. It's definitely not an all out sprint, but you're moving fast. It gets harder when it comes time to wind it back down as you no longer can pump with one of your arms while you push buttons.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your sprints should be at <4 min mile pace for most avg athletic people. So 15+ mph would be a better sprinting pace.

[/ QUOTE ]

No gym will have this treadmill to get you at this pace. If a gym has a manual then you can run at whatever pace your legs desire (but then why aren't you running outside?). There are treadmills that can get this high but they are the highest end models and are extremely expensive and I haven't ever seen one at any gym. They are designed for marathon runners w/ built in computers to map and program courses to incline and decline the way the Boston Marathon would or wherever they are running...and they also get up to high speeds for their mile repeats b/c they can run a mile faster than the majority of the world.

Most nice gyms have treadmills that go up to 12.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Ah, I neglected the tread mill part. I do mine on the old fashioned ground. I can see why the treadmill wouldn't be the best.

Essentially what I was trying to get across is that running at a slower pace than your 400m time isn't the best way to get HIIT done.

Note: I don't run on treadmills because I suck at running on them period.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's really loud and everyone looks at you and stuff

[/ QUOTE ] So true. When the treadmill ramps up from 4MPH to 12MPH it starts whining and you'll definitely gets some stares. Max speed I've seen on a treadmill at my health club is 12.5MPH, so 4:48 mile pace. It's definitely not an all out sprint, but you're moving fast. It gets harder when it comes time to wind it back down as you no longer can pump with one of your arms while you push buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

when the high intensity part is done i just use my hands to lift myself off the treads and onto the sides where i can rest and chill while the thing slows to my in between speed...