Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: 17 game season for NFL?

This raises the question: How many games can they play? Its a very physically demanding sport after all...
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 AM

Guys, in bernie's thread, I have been discussing the possibility of switching the overall format of the league so that it is similar in structure to the English Premiership WITHOUT the relegation/promotion issue.

Create a system where teams get points for wins, crown the team with the most points the league champion. Take previous seasons top 16 and put them in a knockout random draw tourney in the next season. So we have two trophy's, one for being the seasons best overall team, and one for being the best in the tourney.

Of course the leagues structure has to be changed. My idea was get rid of the conferences. Schedule each team to play 16 games, 8 vs top 16 opponents, 8 vs bottom 16 opponents. equal number of home and away games, but random draw against the field.

Thoughts? And please, don't come back saying its to Euro or whatnot. This format would rule. EVERY regular season game means something. It would only extend the league by what, 4 games at the most for teams reaching the tourney final?

Thoughts!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:53 AM

american fans hate points - next idea.

anyway this is a horrible idea. i think the NFL is very naive if it thinks that NFL football will catch on in any significant way overseas, much like the soccer people keep shoving soccer down our throats. the nfl is played by americans in america, it has completely outlandish and incomprehensible rules, and the game is full of dead time.

i love the nfl but c'mon now - it's not going to be the worldwide sport. there's something to be said about the fact that most men never play football in any organized capacity past their senior year in high school.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 AM

I don't know why the NFL would want to mess with it. Some interesting ideas presented here, and the NFL scheduling obviously isn't perfect, but it is the number one sport by far in America (not even close). I can't see them going to nutty with what they have when it obviously works for viewers.

I'm not really a fan of adding regular season games, I think a 16 game season is pretty brutal enough for them. It's a violent, tough game as it is, why give them more games? I mean we'd be happy as viewers...but I can't think it'd be good for the players. And no, replacing pre-season with regular season game isn't the same to me, as a lot of players don't play a bunch in the pre-season.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 AM

at first i thought this said 17 game season for the NHL and it made me really excited.

James
Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Hey TSC,

Let me make sure I'm understanding this. You're eliminating the conventional NFL playoffs for a tournament the following year that runs at the same time as the following season, ala the Champions League?

Interesting idea, but when do you schedule the tournament games? Four games is an enormous amount of wear and tear on the players; scheduling the games before or during the regular season would give the teams playing fewer games a large advantage. This is an issue in soccer, but much less of an issue than in football.

Also: "Create a system where teams get points for wins, crown the team with the most points the league champion."

What else does the point system incorporate besides winning the game?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 AM

I will try to address some of the questions presented.

First, my proposal has nothing to do with making the league more popular overseas. I mentioned that there would not be a promotion/relegation system, something which is an important facet of the Euro leagues. I firmly believe that putting an added emphasis on regular season games will make fans more interested and more rabid. Think about it.

Secondly, we are not adding "regular season games". These are games that are part of a tournament. Every team already has a bye week. Also the current schedule in the NFL consists on Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games, with the rest each week being played Sunday morning/midday. If they can do this, you have to think they can reformat the schedule. Plus, if you eliminate the playoffs, you can those weeks for an extended season. Listen, teams that make the playoffs already deal with a longer season, so how is it any different? The best teams play more games already.

Pokerfink, yes just like the CL. [censored], just throwing it out there, they could even get Canadian Football teams into the mix! If the extra games during the season are a big issue, expand the roster some.

The point system means that every regular season game has meaning. For example, right now teams thats are a lock for the playoffs rest key players in late season games. YES, THIS MEANS CRAPPY GAMES AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Do you see my point?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point system means that every regular season game has meaning. For example, right now teams thats are a lock for the playoffs rest key players in late season games. YES, THIS MEANS CRAPPY GAMES AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Do you see my point?

[/ QUOTE ]

His point is you don't need points in the NFL (well not really), you can just go by number of wins. The only reason they use points in Euro football is because of frequent ties.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason they use points in Euro football is because of frequent ties.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't until recently (the 90's) that the concept of three points for a win actually caught on anywhere in Europe. We'd had it in England since the early eighties, but prior to that it was two points for a win and one for a draw. Which is exactly how the NFL scores things at the moment, yes?

Well, it's one for a win and half for a tie, but it's the same thing.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 AM

I can't see the owners agreeing to this. AFAIK, the reason there are so many preseason games is because they fill stadiums and generate a lot of revenue for the owners.