Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: I have money, I also have debt -- no clue how to proceed...

BTW, can I make no-fee withdrawls from an MMA?

Karmic, Company won't pay moving expenses. The CC is a 17.4% APR -- I usually pay it off every month, although I havent paid but a little in the past two months.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 PM

Put your money into either:

https://flagship.vanguard.com/VGApp/...FundIntExt=INT

or

https://flagship.vanguard.com/VGApp/...FundIntExt=INT

if you are in the 28%+ tax brackets. I doubt you are so just use the first one. You'll get a better rate than online savings accounts long-term and there are no fees if you get online access and online statements. These are not FDIC insured, but I'd be shocked if these ever had a negative year.

Also, note there is a different between a money market fund and a money market deposit account at a bank.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM

If you've got 5 months until the cd matures, then leaving it in the cd would earn you about 372 more in interest. A money market fund at 5.1% (I think that's about what Vanguard's Prime Money Market Fund is yielding right now) would earn 540 in 5 months. Even after paying the $250 penalty, you'd make 290, which is about $82 less than the cd. It sounds like it might be good for you to take half of the cd out for 125, pay off the credit card and the unsubsidized student loans, pay for your moving expenses and your trip, and put the rest in a money market fund. Since pulling the second half out and putting it in a money market fund is worse by about $41 (after the fees) than leaving it where it is, I wouldn't pull out the full amount. I think it makes the most sense to leave half where it is until maturity. Just make sure you don't let it roll over into another cd unless you like the terms.