Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: something I can\'t figure out about terrorism...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... your ideas are frightening, snowball... and [i] bring an automatic weapon to the movies with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do you live in Baghdad, or are you trying to turn your area in a Baghdad like environment?

I had heard about the nutters in pseudo militias in the US, but bringing an automatic to go to the movies!!!

Your behavior is frightening!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, did you seriously stop reading right after you read that statement, or what? It's crazy, people on these boards have like selective reading. I'm not going to go back and show you what I said afterwards, I'm going to let you discover it for yourself. It'll be exciting for you.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Better to Kill the Serpent While it is Still in the Egg

[ QUOTE ]
If it's really true that there are a really large number of people in the world that are part of terrorist organizations who are dedicated to killing americans, then why aren't there more terrorist attacks in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are basically two beliefs on terrorism:
A. 9/11 was an anomaly and the threat of Islamic terrorism is an exageration.
B. Terrorism is still in its infantcy and 9/11 is part of a steady and increasing trend.

In the second hypothesis, there is the belief that terrorism is on the rise and will INCREASE unless something is done to stop it now. It is the philosophy that it is better to kill the serpent while it is still in the egg rather than to do nothing and let the serpent grow into an adult.

So why hasn't there been more terrorism?
1. Money is the main limiting factor.
Most muslims live in crap-hole countries where making $100 a month is a standard salary. So a frugal muslim family might be able to save $10/month on this salary. It cost about $1000 to buy just a plane ticket. So do the math.
2. Money
3. Money
4. terrorism is still in its infancy.
Wahabism has not yet hit critical mass but it is growing. Pew international surveys show that an uncomfortable amount of muslims approve of terrorism. I remember Turkey had the least support of terrorism of about 16%. Countries like Jordan was something like 55%. Wahabism is the violent Saudi sponsored brand of Islam which is being spread throughout the muslim world via Madras schools. Children are being brainwashed into hating other religions and learning that killing infidels is acceptable. The real danger starts when this generation children becomes the majority version of Islam. Consider Hamas use of Mickey Mouse to teach children it is acceptable to kill Jews and Christians. Very sick stuff...
5. There is a shortage of suicidal maniacs to carry out these attacks. Despite all the chest beating that they will die for Islam, self preservation seems to trump their religious beliefs.
6. The US govt does a good job preventing terrorism.
99% is stopped by denying entry into the USA.
1% stopped by good police work.

9/11 was a wakeup call. The damage cause to our economy (especially the airline industry) was huge. We can not afford to under estimate the threat of terrorism... The frequency of ATTEMPTED TERRORISM attacks in the USA seems to be on the rise. I have heard of at least 6 attempts in the last two years in the USA. 20 years ago, I NEVER heard of one terrorism plot....

The trend of more terrorism plots in the USA is disturbing.
And pooh-poohing the lack of successful terrorism attempts in the USA is short-sighted thinking....
Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Department of Homeland Security has been notified about this post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Since the OP points out how easy it would be, and the London, Spain, etc. incidents have shown these organizations are still capable, I am surprised that no one has come up with a very simple explanation.

At this point in time, the terrorists don't want to.

Since the Islamic Terrorists goals are to get the people of the Middle East to hate US and want them out of their countries, The US has been playing right along with that strategy. They do not need the terrorist's assistance at this time.

If the US fear level went down, the country go off Orange with Purple Spots terror alert level, and the US actually start making meaningful friendly advances with Middle East countries, I think you will see another US terror attack.

No need to pump up the fear, or reveal the "Great Satan", the US is doing a good enough job all by itself.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 AM

does something like someone holding and shooting a few people hostage like at Fresno State yesterday count as terrorism or do we call it something else?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does something like someone holding and shooting a few people hostage like at Fresno State yesterday count as terrorism or do we call it something else?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was said that this incident started with an argument over a video game console, so I think you call it "a nut with a gun".
Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It was said that this incident started with an argument over a video game console, so I think you call it "a nut with a gun".

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, so, how about the guys planning to attack Fort Dix--would that be considered an act of terrorism?

I am leading to something here--but need to set it up.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, so, how about the guys planning to attack Fort Dix--would that be considered an act of terrorism?

I am leading to something here--but need to set it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here, I will save you some time.
ter·ror·ism
NOUN:
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here, I will save you some time.
ter·ror·ism
NOUN:
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

so by this definition, people who hang out in front of abortion clinics and try to intimidate people from entering are terrorists, right?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was in the papers after 911 that the cia/fbi whatever had officially estimated the total number of alkida at some ridiculously small number like 100 or 200. worldwide.

you could extend your argument by pointing out that every single publicized case of stopping terrorists in the US, with the exception of things like the head of the JDL bombing congressmens offices and stuff, has been a government agent going out and paying a bunch of retards and/or juvenille street thugs to say they are going to carry out terrorist attacks. For example, a guy was gonna chop down the brooklyn bridge with a handheld "magic" chainsaw. And these are the cases that the government points to to pat themselves on the back on how good of a job they are doing fighting terrorism. So it's pretty obvious there arent any real terrorists in the 24 style.

[/ QUOTE ]