Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: PSU Upgrade

A power supply isn't really that hard to replace. Unplug the all the cables from the power supply to the components, unscrew it, take it out, screw new one in, reconnect cables. If you have a lot of connections, you might want to make some notes about what you disconnect, but when reconnecting, any cable with the right connector will work.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any way to verify that a replacement PSU has the right plugs to replace my existing one? Or is it safe to assume that a 350 or 400W one will have more plugs than a 300W one? And, for a mid tower is there a generic name for that sized PSU? Like ATX or something? I'm at work and can't find which Pavilion it is to look at the specs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always found the cables I needed and the normal size by defaul. Maybe I've been lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you're short a cable or two, you can buy a Y adapter, as long as you have one cable with the right connector. Most power supplies have more than you need, unless you've got a whole lot of disk drive or something.

Desktop power supplies are pretty generic. All the ones I've seen are the same size, and have the holes for the mounting screws in the same position.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Well I just finished installing an Antec 430 Watt TruePower Trio powersupply and Nvidia 7900 video card and must say it wasn't as difficult as I was afraid of.

My desktop machine is an HP Pavillion m7750n which only had a 300W power supply The layout inside the case was confusing the first time I opened it up because the hard drive, Personal Media drive bay, and front plugs are perpendicular to the DVD writer and stacked weird which made me think the whole thing would be a pain. After I downloaded the Service Guide for the machine though it turned out to be simply removing the front panel and two screws to uncover almost the entire mother board, including 24 pin power plug.

On my previous Pavillion the PSU was wedged into the case and I almost had to use a crow bar to get it out, on this Pavilion case it was came right out.

All told, less than 2 hours to put the new PSU in, download Vista drivers for the video card and futz around with the plugs to get the dual monitor stuff working.

Only weirdness was a clicking sound with the new PSU which has since gone away. Woot.