Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: A Common Situation at 5/10 No Limit

Just assume he is standard tricky aggressive player. Assume he is going to bet 3/4 of the pot on the flop. How bad is it to call with any pair below nines and hope for a set?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 AM

bad
Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 AM

if you are only calling for set value it is pretty bad because he is 3 betting frequently(which means he is 3 betting light). so if you are only calling for set value, even when you flop a set he won't have a hand he is willing to pay you off with alot of the time. now calling w/ smaller pp is OK sometimes as long as sometimes you are willing to float and play back at him on dangerous flops.

but if you are just folding everytime you don't hit a set its bad.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 AM

go allin you can win it all that way
Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are only calling for set value it is pretty bad because he is 3 betting frequently(which means he is 3 betting light). so if you are only calling for set value, even when you flop a set he won't have a hand he is willing to pay you off with alot of the time. now calling w/ smaller pp is OK sometimes as long as sometimes you are willing to float and play back at him on dangerous flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this pretty much sums it all up, don't play solely for set value, you're gonna have to move him off missed AK, etc a few times to make this ok.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to be a dick but you shouldn't be playing 5/10 if you are making this type of post.

[/ QUOTE ]
While the post may be bad, this certainly is one of the trickiest spots you get into frequently.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:05 AM

Yeah I know its all cool to be smug asses around here, but seriously 90% of the regulars at 5/10 have no idea how to play this spot so I don't know why someone would say: "If you play 5/10 you should already know this" or "what a dumb question"
Old 05-09-2007, 05:12 AM

I wasn't trying to be smug at all and I answered in more details when more specific questions were asked. I'm sure most good 5/10 regs know what to do in this spot. Postflop is going to be different everytime though and very player dependent. I mean it is almost always going to lead to a marginal spot when you don't flop a set. Even the best players will screw it up sometimes but saying 90% of regs don't know how to play it is LOL.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about how I do it. When do you call a reraise for set value when you're sure you're beat? I guess never preflop if that's all your going for unless you're playing a donk who raises the min. And I agree with Jared.

Jake
Old 05-09-2007, 05:40 AM

Jake,

if an opponent who is extremely tight 3-bets you then you can think about calling for set value with low pairs, because you should stack him nearly every time you hit. Vs a tricky opponent you will only get his c-bet most times you make your set. You wont be winning enough when you hit to justify the call preflop.