Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Small Pocket Pairs

[ QUOTE ]
after 25k hands is there THAT much varience... unlikely (maybe). Is what I was thinking is this; I raise them from EP if im first in, when someone calls and I c-bet im effectivley bluffing, an the only big pot I'll win is if sumone is callin behind me with AK an flop comes A x (set card).

so if im only raiseing these hands for "shania" (mix in up play) purposes then wouldnt raiseing SC in EP be better (easier to win a big pot)?

Any thoghts

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like your only thinking of small PP's in terms of their big pot potential. If you can effectively play small pots with them as well you can turn their profitablity from slight losers into modest winners.

Raising SCs from EP occassionally can be good from a Shania standpoint, but your going to be placed in much harder situations with them than the much easier to play PPs.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 PM

I show a profit with every pocket pair and play all of them from every position assuming it is only for a limp or one raise. I think limp/calling is a lot better than open raising a lot of the time, but most of 2p2 will disagree with me on that one. However, you should have each pocket pair only about 100 times so far. If yoy play another 25k hands and still don't show a profit then I think thats a bigger issue. As it is you should only have hit about 13 sets with each pair and there is also variance in your opponents hands making extracting with your sets difficult if they miss the flop.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Im a winner with all PPs, barring the dreaded 33 over 200K+ hands, so roughly 1000 hands per pair.

Basically AA >> JJ all play in order. Then I do best with mid pairs 88-44. It looks as though I may be overplaying 1010-99 as these are next.

22-33 are at the bottom of the pile, nearish to breakeven between them.

In terms of VPIP I am interested in how often people are playing them. Basically I am up from 70% 22 to near to 100% with AA (assuming this is a) in BB vs SB or some weird thing b) toilet, tea, and %$^*ing stupid damn timeout aaagghhh.

Also what are people's raising frequencies - mine vary from 20% with 22 to 90% or so with aces?

Interesting to hear people's different approaches.