Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Adjustments for more aggressive preflop approach in live MTTs

[ QUOTE ]

-- Make small steal raises and cbet. When in doubt, raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. Also in most online tourneys though.

[ QUOTE ]
-- Be more willing to play hands. Limp behind in late position and call or overcall raises from the blinds and late position. You will have opertunities to pick up the pot postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Take the lead, win the pot. Rinse and repeat.

[ QUOTE ]
-- Postflop, be willing to make marginal semibluff pushes and stabs at the pot with nothing. Sometimes 2-barrel or bluff raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I don't two barrel any more live than I do online. I def bluff raise, stab, and semibluff a lot more. When stacks are good for a bluff/semibluff shove, I do it way more live than online because people are really embarassed to turn over crap during an all in.

[ QUOTE ]
-- Be willing to raise or push at limpers in what would seem like marginal situations online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya.

[ QUOTE ]
-- Make resteal and squeeze play pushes in most situations where the oportunity is there, you don't have reads from the action or otherwise that someone is strong, and you have a playable hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree about the readless thing. In my limited experience, a lot of people are opening so tight that restealing is absolutely awful against them. You need to make sure you're dealing with someone who's not open folding AJ before going nuts with resteals.

[ QUOTE ]
-- With deep money, be willing to make loose reraises, either with hands like JJ or AQ or with suited connectors, high cards or whatever in the right situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.. JJ and AQ are loose reraises?

[ QUOTE ]
-- With 3-12xBB pushbot loosely, due to the high antes and tight play. With the big ante, you can often push any two from late position. For 10xBB, you can push any pp, Axs, JTs, KJo, or A9o from any position. With a smaller stack or later position, you can be looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. fold equity varies a ton by player though. Especially with like a 3 BB stack, I'll fold a few hands waiting for a BB who'll fold getting good odds if I know there is one.

[ QUOTE ]
-- With less than 2xBB, look to call a raise and get HU with huge pot odds due to the ante.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's pretty true in online tournaments too.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[[ QUOTE ]
-- Postflop, be willing to make marginal semibluff pushes and stabs at the pot with nothing. Sometimes 2-barrel or bluff raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I don't two barrel any more live than I do online. I def bluff raise, stab, and semibluff a lot more. When stacks are good for a bluff/semibluff shove, I do it way more live than online because people are really embarassed to turn over crap during an all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If social psychology has made any scientific contribution at all, this is it. This is exactly why people play looser online than live. Fear of embarrassment. Online, no one can see you play like a donkey. In a live game, they can, and people feel embarrassed. Take advantage of people's feelings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM

There's a lot of good stuff there but I don't agree with this :

[ QUOTE ]
For 10xBB, you can push any pp, Axs, JTs, KJo, or A9o from any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the size of the ante but with an M of 5, most of these hands are only good with 5 players to act. JTs is a bit better. But none of them are pushes UTG 9 or 10 handed. Just too many people behind you to pick up a hand.

Edit : missed the "pp", most pairs are still good.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of good stuff there but I don't agree with this :

[ QUOTE ]
For 10xBB, you can push any pp, Axs, JTs, KJo, or A9o from any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the size of the ante but with an M of 5, most of these hands are only good with 5 players to act. JTs is a bit better. But none of them are pushes UTG 9 or 10 handed. Just too many people behind you to pick up a hand.

Edit : missed the "pp", most pairs are still good.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean M of 5? I am assuming 10xBB is an M of 3. Have you ever played in a live tournament with an ante? On Stars with an M of 5, you need like AJs or 88 to push for 10xBB UTG.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-- Make small steal raises and cbet. When in doubt, raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. Also in most online tourneys though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Online, this doesn't always work so well. It is easier to steal live. Online, a lot of times I don't cbet, particularly with position. If you automatically cbet, it is easy for people to float or raise you.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
-- Be more willing to play hands. Limp behind in late position and call or overcall raises from the blinds and late position. You will have opertunities to pick up the pot postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Take the lead, win the pot. Rinse and repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reraising or raising limpers is good, but sometimes seeing a flop and making the move later works, particularly with position or with a discount in the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-- Make resteal and squeeze play pushes in most situations where the oportunity is there, you don't have reads from the action or otherwise that someone is strong, and you have a playable hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree about the readless thing. In my limited experience, a lot of people are opening so tight that restealing is absolutely awful against them. You need to make sure you're dealing with someone who's not open folding AJ before going nuts with resteals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are right. You want to look for a loose raiser to resteal on. However, of tight players will fold a decent hand to a squeeze play.

I do remember a tournament close to the bubble where the SB raised and I pushed from the BB with A3s. He called with AJo. I lost most of my stack and everyone looked at me like I was on drugs. It seemed like the only play there, but I realized the SB was playing very tight.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
-- With deep money, be willing to make loose reraises, either with hands like JJ or AQ or with suited connectors, high cards or whatever in the right situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not loose reraises when pushing with shallow money, but loose with deep money. A lot of people flat call, and there are advantages to doing that. I said also reraise with the kind of hand you might limp with in early position or steal raise with in late position.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
-- With less than 2xBB, look to call a raise and get HU with huge pot odds due to the ante.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's pretty true in online tournaments too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting better odds in a live tournament due to the ante. If you call for 1xBB, you are getting 4-1 pot odds HU with the raiser. Plus it is less likely the pot will be multiway.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not loose reraises when pushing with shallow money, but loose with deep money. A lot of people flat call, and there are advantages to doing that. I said also reraise with the kind of hand you might limp with in early position or steal raise with in late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird to talk about what hands we should 3-bet without a hand.. but with pretty much any stack against pretty much any player, I'm 3-betting AQ and JJ over a HJ/CO/BU/SB raise, and usually one position before HJ as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM

All good, but reading the table is the most important part. Try to play two way pot and make sure your move will work against particular player in the pot. Understand his moves too.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird to talk about what hands we should 3-bet without a hand.. but with pretty much any stack against pretty much any player, I'm 3-betting AQ and JJ over a HJ/CO/BU/SB raise, and usually one position before HJ as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I talked about making loose reraises, I meant against early to mid position raisers. Yeh, I would usually 3-bet AQ or JJ against a late position raiser online or live, although sometimes it is better to flat call when the reraise is not a push or pot committing.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All good, but reading the table is the most important part. Try to play two way pot and make sure your move will work against particular player in the pot. Understand his moves too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good advice, but not as easy in a $500 weekend tournament or side event as in a major tournament where you are at the same table for hours.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:30 AM

Sorry, my mistake.