Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: How do Christians Still follow the bible?

dkx,

how in the hell is god protecting his "children" when he says that you HAVE TO stone your family if they suggest you worship another god? What plight is god saving you from when he says that a woman has to marry a man who rapes her? Who is being saved from destruction when god says that if a women is engaged to be married and is raped in the city, then both the man who raped her and the woman must be stoned to death?

Almost nothing that can be imagined is more evil and terrible than the laws given by the bible. They weren't "the best wisdom of the time." Basically, you almost could not possibly do worse than those laws.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flood covered the whole earth
All animals were originally herbivores
Men have one less rib then women (this wasn’t proved wrong until the 1500's and caused quite a fuss)
Bats are birds
diseases, like leprosy, are caused by the wrath of God or by Satan
The value of pi is 3
Earthquakes are caused by God getting mad
The slime trail of snails is them melting

These are just a very small sample of scientific gems from the bible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have no idea where you got 1/2 of these, and the other half, its easy to just say that God causes X via how it is scientifically explained. That doesn't mean God wasn't the catalyst.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flood covered the whole earth - genesis 7:20
All animals were originally herbivores - genesis 1:30
Men have one less rib then women (this wasn’t proved wrong until the 1500's and caused quite a fuss) - genesis 2:19
Bats are birds - Leviticus 11:13, 19 / Deuteronomy 14:11, 18
diseases, like leprosy, are caused by the wrath of God or by Satan - Numbers 12:10
The value of pi is 3 - 2 Chronicles 4:2
Earthquakes are caused by God getting mad - Psalms 18:7
The slime trail of snails is them melting - Psalms 58:8
Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM

we try really hard.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bible is an extremely outdated document which is only still around because the church comes out and says "hmm, the bible says something that make no sense and it has been proven wrong... no biggie, it must have been figurative!" Why would God/Holy Spirit need to inspire people to write figuratively? The argument is that religion is so in-depth and so hard for our minds to comprehend that we must be given figurative stories and metaphors to grasp its deeper meaning. So now that we are advanced, one could assume that the church could rule out figurative/literal on every story, but obviously they dont do that cuz when science proves something wrong they need to beable to label something figurative to keep its credability.

[/ QUOTE ]
examples please.

[ QUOTE ]

Another thing is, check out the inconsistancy between the old testament and the new testament. Did God change his mind or did people (who I would argue wrote the bible as in w/o inspiration from the holy spirit) change their mind? I go w/ the latter.

I really wanna hear a devout-christian give a good response.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used google, and this page is a decent start:

http://www.bible-knowledge.com/Old-t...testament.html

btw, im not catholic, so maybe you arent looking for my response.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...god you people are dumb.

'Jesus meant that you don't have to sacrifice animals any more and no more stoning (i know it doesn't say this, but that is what he MEANT)...you still need to obey the laws that seem ok though, like no tattoos...I know, I know, it doesn't say ANY of this in the bible, but it's OBVIOUS...'

[censored]-A.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best analogy that I can give you on this is just imagine you were married, had several children and all of a sudden you found out that somebody was going to try to kill one of your children. What do you think your natural reaction would be? I have heard mother after mother say to me, without batting an eye, that if anyone would try to seriously hurt one of their own children - they would have no problems in literally killing that person dead if they had to.

This right here is the exact same type of wrath and anger that God Himself has when protecting His own. This is why the Old Testament is so bloody in all of the battles that are described in it. Half of those bloody battles had to do with God the Father defeating all of Israel’s enemies in actual warfare and combat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, now I know why god sent that angel to kill all those Egyptian infants sleeping in their cribs. He was just being protective of his "children".

Give me a freaking break.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Lets not forget the sacrifice demanded of Abraham. Enough for the mother of his child to have killed god. I somehow wish she had, it would make arhe bible a little bit less immoral.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM

i love this thread, i think im done with SMP though ... atheists win!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 PM

organized religions like catholics or protestants don't follow the bible. simple as that.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
organized religions like catholics or protestants don't follow the bible. simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless they still worship a god who is continually described in their holy book as vengeful, petulant, and barbaric.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 AM

"It may be demanded, Why should you be so furious? (as some have said). Should not Christians have more mercy and compassion? But I would refer you to David's war. When a people is grown to such a height of blood and sin against God and man and all confederates in the action, there he hath no respects to persons, but harrows them and saws them, and puts them to the sword, and the most terriblest death that may be. Sometimes the Scripture declareth women and children must perish with their parents. Sometimes the case alters; but we will not dispute it now. We had sufficient light from the Word of God for our proceedings."

-John Underhill, 1638, defending the massacre of the Pequots [a particularly apt tribe to speak of on a poker site] at ther Mystic River village in 1637

"The whole continent of North America appears to be destined by Divine Providence to be peopled by one nation, speaking one language, professing one general system of religious and political principles, and accustomed to one general tenor of social usages and customs."

-John Quincy Adams, 1811

"It seems to me that God, with infinite wisdom and skill, is training the Anglo-Saxon race for an hour sure to come in the worlds future. The lands of the earth are limited, and soon will be taken. Then will the world enter upon a new stage in its history--the final competition of the races. Then this race of unequaled energy, with the majesty of numbers and the might of wealth behind it--the representative of the largest liberty, the purest Christianity, the highest civilization... will spread itself over the earth."

-Minister Josiah Strong, 1885