Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Does fine champaign produce smaller bubbles?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the lab of Ho et al has been doing some really pioneering work on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe they are mostly focused on multiphase flow in microfluidic systems. I could be wrong about that, but the physics is quite a bit different.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:33 AM

I changed my google queries from “champaign” to “sparkling wine”, and found an answer:

[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the normal smell and taste criteria of still wine, sparkling wine quality is judged by the size of the bubbles (smaller is better), their persistence (long-lasting is better) and their mouth feel (how well they are integrated into the wine and the relative smoothness or coarseness of their texture).

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I changed my google queries from “champaign” to “sparkling wine”, and found an answer:

[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the normal smell and taste criteria of still wine, sparkling wine quality is judged by the size of the bubbles (smaller is better), their persistence (long-lasting is better) and their mouth feel (how well they are integrated into the wine and the relative smoothness or coarseness of their texture).

[/ QUOTE ]

link

[/ QUOTE ]
Had you spelled champagne correctly originally it might have saved even more time!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe they are mostly focused on multiphase flow in microfluidic systems. I could be wrong about that, but the physics is quite a bit different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I just levelled myself. I am so confused. Apparently there really is a Ho lab working on something related to this?

I was talking about Don Ho. Tiny Bubbles. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Had you spelled champagne correctly originally it might have saved even more time!

[/ QUOTE ] Lol hard. No wonder I kept getting a town in Illinois. Too much bubbly in my system.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I just levelled myself. I am so confused. Apparently there really is a Ho lab working on something related to this?

I was talking about Don Ho. Tiny Bubbles. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I may have been leveled then re-leveled without realizing any of it... if that's possible. I didn't for a second consider Don Ho. It's trouble using an Asian name and research in the same sentence, there's likely someone with that name doing that research. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, yeah Chih-Ming Ho at UCLA is a major player in microfluidics.

Link
Link

Quote:

"...Professor Chih-Ming Ho’s work ranks at #7, with 26 papers cited a total of 255 times to date. His paper, "Micro-electrical mechanical systems (MEMS) and fluid flows," (C.M. Ho and Y.C. Tai, Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 30: 579-612, 1998) is the third most-cited paper in this field for the past decade, with 153 citations at the time of the analysis."
Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Yes and I believe they are called "bibbles".
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM

The traditional means of carbonating champagne is by a second fermentation in the bottle. I believe high end champagnes are still made this way. Very likely some of the cheaper stuff is carbonated by just pressurizing the bottle with CO2.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM

This has got to be the most pathetic champagne thread ever, even worse than the OOT one on putting the cork back in half a bottle of champagne. It's the champagne equivalent of describing breasts as feeling like bags of sand.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has got to be the most pathetic champagne thread ever, even worse than the OOT one on putting the cork back in half a bottle of champagne. It's the champagne equivalent of describing breasts as feeling like bags of sand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I’m very surprised to see this thing pop back up after a week of being dead. This whole thread began when I tried googling “champaign bubbles” for an answer and kept getting bathtub accessories in a small town in Illinois as a reply. I was too tipsy to realize I was misspelling champagne so I turned to the erudite folks at SMP for the answer to this most perplexing question.