Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: 50NL - badly played top 2 pair on flushing turn HU in position?

does this read alter anything - it was in the OP:

[ QUOTE ]
I am @ 1.5 buyins. He's near 6. Won a pot vs villain with A9s vs his KT when he bet the AKx flop and called my river VALUETOWN bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Does anybody hate a bet on the turn here to try and see a free showdown? I think sometimes in this case betting like $16-19 on the turn it makes our river decision easier and gets us more value out of the hand the % of the time we are ahead. This way we KNOW what to do when the river comes another crappy card like this.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM

after the hand i thought about the turn bet, which is why i came here. there are a lot of people sounding out the turn bet, but noone has fully denounced the turn check.

Guess tis the traditional pot control vs protection dilemma. I guess if i was going to invest $16, i'd rather do it on a non-club river after checking the turn than investing $16 on the turn, being called and not knowing what to do on the river (depending on what falls).
Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM

ewwwwww...
im probably folding the river...
i cant really see a hand that you beat...
pretty nasty...
Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM

comments in white:

<font color="white">i was not entirely sure about the river call, but figured the turn was a more important street. I don't think a concensus has been reached on whether the turn check is a good thing - given that most people are saying "fold river" i suppose that it looks like bet turn, fold to c/r, if called check river behind is the premium line.

FWIW, i went with the read of villain in the hand I played with him earlier (when he bet 2nd pair on flop and called a river bet) and called. Villain showed JTo for 2nd pair and MHIG. Maybe an anomaly</font>
Old 05-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Why does everyone think a call on the river is bad? Couldn't he easily have a king or jack? I think you will see KQ, KT, K9, J9,... quite a bit. I only play NL25 myself so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I would play the hand the exact same way.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM

A c/r on this board would suck. Deep as you are, turn check is pretty prudent usually.

On the other hand, a one club draw if you're ahead is also somewhat likely if you're ahead. Your opponent seems like the non-believer type (calling with the K on an AK board example) -- unless he's shown a lot of c/r potential I think I bet the turn for a free showdown. If you're raised, then you can safely fold. Costs about the same as the river call (mandatory I think) when you check and gets you about the same info. Unless he's a crazy nutcase "I wanna out play you sucka" type who might get you to fold the best hand, I think this is a bet on the turn.

I think the difference between the two is not that huge considering how deep you are.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:35 PM

I must be missing something, because for the life of me I can't see how you check the turn then don't call the river bet that you induced. I don't mind betting the turn either...man you guys are tight. You're only ok putting money in on one street with top 2? At this level? Now if villain makes a big raise on the turn then I may very well be gone, but he's gonna show me more than a $2.50 flop bet before I think top 2 isn't good.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must be missing something, because for the life of me I can't see how you check the turn then don't call the river bet that you induced. I don't mind betting the turn either...man you guys are tight. You're only ok putting money in on one street with top 2? At this level? Now if villain makes a big raise on the turn then I may very well be gone, but he's gonna show me more than a $2.50 flop bet before I think top 2 isn't good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not putting money in on 1 street only, I plan to value bet the river when checked to. It's pot control vs protection issue on the turn - being c/r on the turn there with top 2 sucks hard.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 AM

I bet turn to get calls from kx with 1 club. We have two pair against a donk, vb,vb,vb.