Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Cheating in competition: your stories

[ QUOTE ]
Varsity golf match junior year. Private school so team medal is all that matters. One kid in my group had been playing well but wasn't a douche about it. I think he was like 2 under through 16 and the rest of us were maybe 5 over. 17th hole, ~220 yards DIRECTLY into the sun, OB right and a river running all the way down the left. He hits first and hooks into water. The other 3 of us hit tee shots that guarantee double at least. We get to the drop zone and he takes a ball out of his bag and pauses for a second and turns to look at us.

"3s all around?"

He "shot" 70 that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pathetic.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the father of a friend 20+ years ago who cut a hole in his shorts to slip balls through when his son lost one in competition...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's pretty lame. nice example to set for your children.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the father of a friend 20+ years ago who cut a hole in his shorts to slip balls through when his son lost one in competition...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's pretty lame. nice example to set for your children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, he is pretty dumb. Pants would work a lot better.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Several years ago I had a match in the first or second round of my club's match play championship. I didn't know my opponent before the match, so I asked one of my friends. "Watch out for him," he said, "he drives a fast cart."

The match unfolded uneventfully until the 11th hole, which is a 195-yard par 3 with a lateral hazard area left and lots of fun bunkers down the right. My opponent stands up and jacks one into the hazard. Assuming that he's going to be chipping his 3rd shot onto the green, I play a conservative line and leave it in the front right bunker.

But I had forgotten my friend's advice, and my opponent tore up the cart path well ahead of me. When I arrived greenside, lo and behold, my opponent had found his ball about 5 yards into the hazard sitting perfectly in the one place where he could (a) get a club on it and (b) have a shot at the flag. Fast cart, indeed. 60 seconds later, after a beautful pitch out of the bramble to about 12 inches, I faced a must-up-and-down from the bunker. When I failed to convert, the match was even. Fortunately, my 99% certainty that I had just been snookered just made me more determined, and I put the guy away 2 & 1.

Never said anything to the guy -- after all, I hadn't seen anything, and I suppose if it wasn't for my friend's warning, I'd still be none the wiser. But I now pay pretty close attention to how my opponents mark their golf balls.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Varsity golf match junior year. Private school so team medal is all that matters. One kid in my group had been playing well but wasn't a douche about it. I think he was like 2 under through 16 and the rest of us were maybe 5 over. 17th hole, ~220 yards DIRECTLY into the sun, OB right and a river running all the way down the left. He hits first and hooks into water. The other 3 of us hit tee shots that guarantee double at least. We get to the drop zone and he takes a ball out of his bag and pauses for a second and turns to look at us.

"3s all around?"

He "shot" 70 that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM

I've got a couple funny stories myself...

I was 16-17 and I'll admit right now that I am the villian in this story.

1st-

Two man scramble tournament with every high school in my district there. Drivable par 4, and my partner is putting for birdie from ~18 ft. I've already missed my putt, so he HAS to make his. The other two guys in our group are getting ready to hit their putts, but they're off the green by their bags and not really paying much attention.
I'm right there holding the flag near the cup watching my partners putt track towards the cup. Only problem is there is no way it's going in.
I then attempt to nudge it in with my foot, but fail. Next thing I know I'm picking up the ball, screaming, "Yah! Birdie", and walking off the green. lol. The other two we were playing with were very suspicious, but they were freshmen, and we were juniors so they could only question us so much.
We hacked our way to a -3 under score, so I guess we got what we deserved. haha

2nd-

It was raining buckets and the greens were collecting water. One hole has a nice pool building directly in my line.
When the other team was looking away I moved my mark about 35% closer to the hole. My partner saw this, (he happened to be the one guy who was competing with me for a varsity spot), and he couldn't wait to run off and tell our coach.
I denied it..coach didn't know what to do, (nor did he care, he was just in it for the free golf), so he just let it go.

I was always doing to old "wipe my line but really move my marker up a bit" trick.

a)mark your ball
b)pick up your ball, and your marker
c)make a few swipes 6-9 inches in front of where your mark was, (ball and marker both in hand)
d)place marker close to hole!

You would think someone would notice, but I did this a ton in my high school matches and never got caught once.

Flame away, this was 7 years ago and I'm a lot more mature so I'm not afraid to admit my wrongdoings, lol.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Two man scramble tournament with every high school in my district there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scramble tourney in high school? Weird. Fun, but weird.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Yeah, last tourney of the year.

Just for fun but I obviously took it a bit too far, lol.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:13 AM

It's a Monday Qualifier (4 spot) for the PGA event in Jackson, MS.
1996, I think.
Tough course, tough conditions. I shot 71 early and didn't expect it to be any good, but wait around till there are 4 scores posted that are better.
Three scores are better, and there are seven 71s on the board.
Late in the day there is a rain delay that lasts a couple of hours.

As soon as it's over, the first group in, Todd Baker (Little Rock) posts a 68.

So seven guys, including myself, hit the road.

I get a call from a friend a couple days later. He was playing with Baker for the first 17 holes. When the rain delay came, everyone in his group withdrew, except Baker, who joined the group behind them.

During the delay, he sees the scores, and takes an eraser to his card, which he is now in possession of because of his group's withdrawing.

He turns +2 through 17 into -4!

My friend reads the paper the next morning, sees Todd's name at 68, and calls the section.
Section calls the other players in the group, confirm's the cheating, and heads to Annandale to yank Mr. Baker from the middle of the course.

I call the section, check to see if there is any slim chance of any 71's taking his spot, but after noon on Tues., his spot goes to the first alternate from the tour list.

I pick up Golf World a couple of weeks later, and see Todd Baker played in a Nike (or Buy.com?) event in Missouri by monday qualifying.

I call the section again, ask if there are any repurcutions(sp) for cheating other than just not getting in the event that you cheated.
I get the run around.
I'm told there is no system in place for the sections to communicate with each other concerning cheaters, or whatever.

I ask the executive director, "If Todd Baker enters the Monday Qualifier for Jackson next year, are you going to give him a tee time?"
Answer: "That's a good question."

I'm floored.

Flash forward a year later. I get to the qualifying site for Jackson on Sunday for a practice round.
I check for my tee time, and also check to see if Todd Baker is in the field.
He is!
Fricking amazing!
I find Mr. Brown,(ex.dir.)and tell him that either Todd Baker is not playing tomorrow, or I'm not.

He says, "give me a few minutes."

Later, he finds me and says that Mr. Baker has withdrawn.

This still floors me to this day.

ps. made it through that monday q. in a 2way playoff for the last spot. (71-80 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM

1987, US Junior qualifier in Indianapolis:

A group of 4 of us drive down from South Bend, including Tony P and Doug S. Anyway Doug S is on a parallel fairway to Tony P and swears he sees Tony P drop a ball in the rough. Nothing gets done because Doug S isn't 100% sure.

Anyway, Tony P is medalist by 3 shots and qualifies for the US Junior at Muirfield Village. I also qualify. Awkward car ride home. Nothing said to Tony P.

Fast forward a month. First round of the US Junior. Tony P blocks his drive on the very first hole into the trees. A marshall finds the ball and Tony P and he plays away. After his round a USGA official grabs him and the marshall and takes them back to the spot where he hit his 2nd shot on the 1st hole. The marshall points to the spot, which happened to be about 10 feet to the right of an obvious painted white OOB line. Karma and DQ.

Fast forward one year.

First tee of his first qualifying round as a member of a Division 1 school. Tony P hits drive into right rough. Another member of his group spots him improving his lie and calls him out. Tony P forced to make a tearful apology in front of his entire team. I don't believe he ever played a tournament for his college.

This kid was immensely talented, yet couldn't resist the opportunity to cheat. Sad.