Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Actor/Actress With an Impressive Body of Work

I am going to go very modern,Leonardo DiCaprio.
Does anything beat this 4 yr streak?

Blood Diamond (2006)
The Departed (2006)
The Aviator (2004)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
Gangs of New York (2002)
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM

oh very good! You may have a winner here although I know that a couple people, including Blarg, may beg to differ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. But I like your pick!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM

I normally can't stand the guy, but I loved pretty much everything Tom Cruise did from 1999-2002:

Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia
Mission: Impossible II
Vanilla Sky
Minority Report
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dustin Hofman
Here are a few of the better films he's been in:
Straw Dogs
Midnight Cowboy
The Graduate
All The President's Men
Papillon
Lenny
Marathon Man
Rainman
Ishtar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - hey I actually liked it although it wasn't great

imdb

[/ QUOTE ]

Strong choice here. What I like about this guy is his variety. He has had some memorable roles that's for sure. (Although I do feel that we have to subtract major points for his participation in Ishtar. Just sayin.)

And I'm very proud to say that I've seen Straw Dogs! Yay.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rtm3EjpGCBsBvR.jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12mjgh4g6/EXP=1178297399/**http%3A//www.moviesection.de/v3/img/datenbank/1078439217rainman3.jpg[/img] [img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rq2CFTpGekwBYoGjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12qpi4bi7/EXP=1178298114/**http%3A//img.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/030321/143543__straw-dogs_l.jpg[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM

there's this one young actor, Bob DeNiro:

Bang the Drum Slowly
Mean Streets
Godfather II
Taxi Driver

...short gap...

The Deer Hunter
Raging Bull

also there's Edward Norton

Primal Fear
The People vs. Larry Flynt
Everyone Says I Love You
Rounders
American History X
Fight Club

edit: then, his 2006:

Down in the Valley
The Illusionist
The Painted Veil
Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Douglas is not even in the same league as the greats mentioned in this thread (also not a fan of Streep, though).

However, Falling Down was an excellent film and he did a fantastic job in it. Easily my favorite film by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't like MD or Streep? I thought Streep was a pretty good choice. She had at least 4 back-to-back excellent films I'm sure. Can't believe you don't like her! Isn't there any movie that she's been in that you feel is great? (You are a hard one to figure, B-dog. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Also, as far as MD, I agree that Falling Down was a great film. But are you saying you didn't like The Game or Fatal Attraction or Romancing the Stone or his bit in Traffic? Seriously? What is it you don't like about him? Do you think his acting is bad or he has no range or what? Just trying to figure out how it is I can be so off the mark with this guy.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Robert De Niro is awesome. I love that guy.

And I guessed that someone would nominate Ed Norton. I haven't actually seen many of his movies though but I know his acting is highly respected. I should probably check out more of his work.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Douglas is not even in the same league as the greats mentioned in this thread (also not a fan of Streep, though).

However, Falling Down was an excellent film and he did a fantastic job in it. Easily my favorite film by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't like MD or Streep? I thought Streep was a pretty good choice. She had at least 4 back-to-back excellent films I'm sure. Can't believe you don't like her! Isn't there any movie that she's been in that you feel is great? (You are a hard one to figure, B-dog. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong; I don't think she's a bad actress. She's a very good actress. But I've never really seen her as "making or breaking" a film. She was very good in Devil Wears Prada recently.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, as far as MD, I agree that Falling Down was a great film. But are you saying you didn't like The Game or Fatal Attraction or Romancing the Stone or his bit in Traffic? Seriously? What is it you don't like about him? Do you think his acting is bad or he has no range or what? Just trying to figure out how it is I can be so off the mark with this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me put it this way. He's not a bad actor. He does have little range; in most of his rolls he's just playing Michael Douglas, and the problem with that is, I just don't like Michael Douglas. I think the reason that I liked Falling Down so much was that the role was so far afield for him.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Jennifer Connelly’s last four films:

The House of Sand and Fog
Dark Water
Little Children
Blood Diamond
Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 PM

He was famously derided as wooden and lifeless in his long turn on Streets of San Francisco. Having seen a ton of those shows, I agree that those assessments were right. His face was virtually frozen for years.

He's better now. But still by and large unremarkable to me. I can't think of a single performance he gave that was in any way memorable except for his turn in Wall Street. However, that was really good.

I'll always love him for producing The China Syndrome, though. And was it him or Saul Zaentz who produced One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?