Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: hypothetical discovery (what to do with it?)

I would write a set of scripts uploaded at various free internet connections to free web hosting websites. The scripts would send a massive amount of emails detailing the discovery to various individuals and orgranization if their timers are not reset every 6 months. At that point, I would proceed to negotiate with the US government.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would write a set of scripts uploaded at various free internet connections to free web hosting websites. The scripts would send a massive amount of emails detailing the discovery to various individuals and orgranization if their timers are not reset every 6 months. At that point, I would proceed to negotiate with the US government.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this to some extent, but one major problem is that the government can step in and say "your research is now classified" the moment they realize you have the algorithm, and you have no alternative but to deal with the US government, who now has a tremendous bargaining chip. If they brand you a national security threat or terrorist (for essentially holding them hostage), they will take steps to make your live as miserable as possible to coerce you into giving up your scripts. If you do release your info to the public, you now have explicitly broken the law and are likely to be thrown into prison by a royally pissed-off government. The only upside is that you're pretty much guaranteed that the government won't bump you off personally.

So this particular course of action depends crucially on how effective you are in dealing with government pressure over the long term. I personally think there is just too much that could go wrong with this approach.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So this particular course of action depends crucially on how effective you are in dealing with government pressure over the long term. I personally think there is just too much that could go wrong with this approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you had already implemented or are capable of using the technology beforehand, you have an enormous weapon in which to counteract any threat, and a huge negotiating tool.

Me? Meh. I'm of the opinion the only secrets you have are in your head.

With the right people, there certainly could be a case made to find utility in such a tool. <shrugs> POV, I guess.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Computing power has been increasing exponentially for quite some time, meaning secrets "now" probably won't be secrets ten years from now.

2) If quantum computing ever takes off, the current system is bound to collapse immediately since there are efficient algorithms for factoring large numbers using quantum computers (which don't exist yet).

[/ QUOTE ]Taking a wild guess here..

Couldn't you use the increase in computer power to create harder to crack codes? So give it a few days or whatever, and we are back to normal?

Like in Re: to factoring numbers, if we could factor numbers faster, we could find harder to factor numbers too right?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Computing power has been increasing exponentially for quite some time, meaning secrets "now" probably won't be secrets ten years from now.

2) If quantum computing ever takes off, the current system is bound to collapse immediately since there are efficient algorithms for factoring large numbers using quantum computers (which don't exist yet).

[/ QUOTE ]Taking a wild guess here..

Couldn't you use the increase in computer power to create harder to crack codes? So give it a few days or whatever, and we are back to normal?

Like in Re: to factoring numbers, if we could factor numbers faster, we could find harder to factor numbers too right?

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that if the problem becomes easy to solve, you are betting everything that someone doesn't have more computing power than you do, or is more patient than you are. This is almost always a bad bet. For example, we could make a cryptography protocol based on adding two numbers. But adding two numbers is easy to do, so simply making two numbers so stupendously huge that most potential hackers won't bother to try to add them it is both impractical and unsecure.

What you need for cryptography is a problem that is computationally hard to solve, but easy to generate examples. Factoring is like this -- you just multiply two big primes and so you yourself instantly know the factors. But someone who didn't personally generate the number is going to have a hell of a time factoring it. Unless, of course, they come up with a polynomial-time algorithm to do it.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:21 PM

Haven't been into crypto for awhile but can quantum computing break elliptical based encryption just as easy?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't been into crypto for awhile but can quantum computing break elliptical based encryption just as easy?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, actually. It could be one of those things that is easy to do, but nobody has bothered to write down an algorithm for it yet.