Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Happy May Day

I would love to read what Tom Collins has to say on the subject. I seem to remember his anti-union stance as being well put-together.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 AM

Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since this is the real Labour Day (only in North America was the May Day workers' holiday changed, in fear, to September), why don't we all celebrate the rich history, solidarity, triumphs, tribulations, and real progress that the labour movement has brought to working people across the world? The labour movement has historically provided working people with greater wages and benefits, increased safety at work, greater job security, stronger communities, checks against employer exploitation, and a whole host of other benefits. Yet, some would say that the movement has never been at a lower ebb.

Having been a Union Business Agent and occasional Union organizer in Canada and the US for the last dozen years, I truly appreciate the increase in part-time/temporary work, the reduction in real wages among workers, and the oppressive pro-management labour relations systems of both countries. It makes selling my wares much easier. Yes, conditions are clearly getting worse and worse for those who choose not to take an active role in bettering their working lives. But for those who have chosen to exercise their freedom of association and joined an existing union or assisted in creating a newly unionized workplace, conditions are consistently better than those who have not learned how this kind of democratic organization can benefit them and their fellow employees.

When I go to an unorganized plant it is becoming increasingly easy, despite management anti-union SWAT teams, to make employees realize that all I am doing is offering an insurance policy on one of the most important parts of their lives; their jobs. Aside from the usual few anti-union anecdotes bantered about, most workers I talk to eventually come the correct conclusion that union members enjoy better working conditions across the board from their non-union counterparts. Once educated, rhetoric discarded, the choice becomes clear.

On this International Workers' Day, before you join your local march, I am hoping that those of you fortunate enough to be employed at a unionized workplace will remember those who are still struggling outside the movement. Although you and your working brothers and sisters, or those before you, had the strength, commitment, and compassion to struggle together to make their working lives better, there are far too many around you on this historic day that are have yet to begin their own struggle.

In Solidarity,

Hamish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, comrade.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Although they're not your kind of anarchists, isn't the Haymarket Riot one of the most important historical events among anarchists? I'd think you guys would celebrate a little.

On another note, I suppose it was intentional that the immigrant community chose May Day for their marches, but I wonder how many people or members of the MSM picked up on that.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although they're not your kind of anarchists, isn't the Haymarket Riot one of the most important historical events among anarchists? I'd think you guys would celebrate a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think that?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM

I do celebrate/remember/commemorate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And they /are/ my kind of anarchists.