Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: President Bush is a Dangerous Guy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bush's inability to hold anyone accountable comes from two places.

1) Bush himself has skated through life being bailed out by friends and family after messing up job after job. Unsurprisingly, he seems to hold his administration to the same rigorous standards. It's just typical old-boy networking writ extremely large.

2) Bush feels he was chosen by God to lead the country. Why would God put someone fallible in charge?

I think it's mostly #1 with a sprinkling of #2.

Also, for all the noise made about Bush's IQ, I don't think that really matters too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Accountable? Why would he want to hold anyone accountable? Everything's going basically the way he wants it to.

"You're doing a fine job, brownie."

[/ QUOTE ]

Iraq's not going how he or his adminstration wanted it to--this is largely a result of Rumsfeld not being held accountable. How exactly is everything going how he wanted it to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 04-30-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bush's inability to hold anyone accountable comes from two places.

1) Bush himself has skated through life being bailed out by friends and family after messing up job after job. Unsurprisingly, he seems to hold his administration to the same rigorous standards. It's just typical old-boy networking writ extremely large.

2) Bush feels he was chosen by God to lead the country. Why would God put someone fallible in charge?

I think it's mostly #1 with a sprinkling of #2.

Also, for all the noise made about Bush's IQ, I don't think that really matters too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Accountable? Why would he want to hold anyone accountable? Everything's going basically the way he wants it to.

"You're doing a fine job, brownie."

[/ QUOTE ]

Iraq's not going how he or his adminstration wanted it to--this is largely a result of Rumsfeld not being held accountable. How exactly is everything going how he wanted it to?

I don't get the purpose of the quote, either, other than to reiterate that Bush doesn't hold people accountable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Iraq is going perfectly. The Bush Crime Family is heavily invested in arms and military supplies. A never-ending quagmire is perfect for the defense industry. Halliburton has long term cost plus contracts to fix anything that gets blown up in Iraq. A continued state of mass confusion is perfect when you get paid by the hour to fix stuff. The oil companies are having a field day pumping unmetered oil and shipping it off without oversite or regulation from an owner. Since almost every party involved in Iraq is making money hand over fist, I could not see any reason why they would want to change or "fix" anything.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its just because Bush is trying to do something important, and worth doing, and it ain't easy, so he's running into a lot of problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Honestly, I think we should just trust our president in every decision he makes and should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens." - Britney Spears
Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM

So what? By every other metric of success--quelling terrorism, establishing democracy, creating a legacy, aiding Israel, enhancing public opinion and domestic political clout, increasing US armed forces' strength, proving the neocons correct, etc., the Iraq War has been a failure. Posting a graph of Halliburton's stock prices from 2001 is simplistic at best and not much of a response.

As far as other disasters for the Bush adminstration affected directly or indirectly by lack of accountability/cronyism, I can name Katrina, Harriet Miers, the current Gonzalez scandal, the Abramoff affair, the Plame affair, Tom Delay, Abu Ghraib/Gitmo, and that's off the top of my head.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what? By every other metric of success--quelling terrorism, establishing democracy, creating a legacy, aiding Israel, enhancing public opinion and domestic political clout, increasing US armed forces' strength, proving the neocons correct, etc., the Iraq War has been a failure. Posting a graph of Halliburton's stock prices from 2001 is simplistic at best and not much of a response.

As far as other disasters for the Bush adminstration affected directly or indirectly by lack of accountability/cronyism, I can name Katrina, Harriet Miers, the current Gonzalez scandal, the Abramoff affair, the Plame affair, Tom Delay, Abu Ghraib/Gitmo, and that's off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should Bush care about the latter things? Clearly you did not understand pvn's post.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Where did you get these metrics?
quelling terrorism -- that would be unprofitable for the military industrial complex
establishing democracy -- that would end the free-for-all for the oil companies
creating a legacy -- uhhh, no money in my pocket for that one
aiding Israel -- our Saudi business partners wouldn't like that
enhancing public opinion -- wow, that won't buy me a cup of coffee!
domestic political clout -- it is a global economy
increasing US armed forces' strength -- that might lead to world peace, how horrible.
proving the neocons correct -- no money in that
the Iraq War has been a huge success.

Let's see your other "disasters":
Katrina -- Haliburton got a lot of the contracts for that one, what is the problem?
Harriet Miers -- Close, almost got her in.
The current Gonzalez scandal -- Gonzalez will do the right thing and fall on the sword, no problem
The Abramoff affair -- Jack was a loyal contributor and a good earner.
The Plame affair -- Loyal soldier Scooter took the rap.
Tom Delay -- Tom took the rap, didn't squeal.
Abu Ghraib/Gitmo -- Haliburton has several contracts to upgrade Gitmo. Hasn't cost the family a dime.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, obviously, I am not a Bush fan. However, it can't be denied that the absolute number one metric of success is 100% positive - That metric is terrorist attacks on the U.S. You can argue about causation and correlation and you can argue that the country is actually more dangerous. But, the fact remains.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should Bush care about the latter things? Clearly you did not understand pvn's post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they've undercut the ability of his adminstration to govern they way they want to. They've ruined their credibility, destroyed public approval, and helped eliminate the republican majority in congress.

And I understood his post just fine, thanks, inasmuch as one can "understand" the one-liners that pass for political discourse around here.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they've undercut the ability of his adminstration to govern they way they want to. They've ruined their credibility, destroyed public approval, and helped eliminate the republican majority in congress.

And I understood his post just fine, thanks, inasmuch as one can "understand" the one-liners that pass for political discourse around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does he care about any of those things?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, obviously, I am not a Bush fan. However, it can't be denied that the absolute number one metric of success is 100% positive - That metric is terrorist attacks on the U.S. You can argue about causation and correlation and you can argue that the country is actually more dangerous. But, the fact remains.

[/ QUOTE ]

What good is that fact if you ignore causation and correlation?