Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: 60+ degree Wedges

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think you will feel a major difference with the 60* wedges unless your close to a scratch golfer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking. I feel like most golfers (myself included) don't put a consistent enough swing on the club to notice differences. I'll probably just try to find something comfortable.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 PM

I have a 60 degree CG11 Black Pearl Cleveland Wedge. I love it out of the sand. It doesn't have much purpose anywhere except there.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5-30 yards off the green

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really not where you should be using lob wedges.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5-30 yards off the green

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really not where you should be using lob wedges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this? I've read Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, and he seems to be saying that this is exactly where you should be hitting lob wedges. I don't know how familiar you are with him, but he also says that people shoot lower scores if they dump a long club and pick up both a 60* and 64* wedge.

I hit a full sand wedge about 105 yards, and thus am forced to make less than full shots frequently. It seems like a 60* wedge would help me out a lot.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to get a high lofted wedge because I have problems stopping the ball fast enough when I'm 5-30 yards off the green and the pin is cut close to the edge. I find myself flying it to the edge of the green then rolling it all the way to the other side. I'm hoping a 60 degree wedge will allow me to hit the ball somewhat higher and stop it quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the problem is not the club. You should be able to stop the ball in these situations.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to get a high lofted wedge because I have problems stopping the ball fast enough when I'm 5-30 yards off the green and the pin is cut close to the edge. I find myself flying it to the edge of the green then rolling it all the way to the other side. I'm hoping a 60 degree wedge will allow me to hit the ball somewhat higher and stop it quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the problem is not the club. You should be able to stop the ball in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize this. I'm working very hard on these types of shots. But I'm not a scratch golfer, and I don't see a problem getting a little help.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 AM

You will have even more problems with more loft.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a little presumptuous given that you have never seen me play. It may be true generically, but I have used high loft wedges before and felt comfortable hitting them. I don't really have a problem spraying wedges left and right, which would likely become more of an issue with a higher loft wedge.

I really don't understand all the hate of high loft wedges.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a little presumptuous given that you have never seen me play. It may be true generically, but I have used high loft wedges before and felt comfortable hitting them. I don't really have a problem spraying wedges left and right, which would likely become more of an issue with a higher loft wedge.

I really don't understand all the hate of high loft wedges.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are just more difficult to control and hit consistently. Obviously, it is very possible to hit great shots with these clubs, but the higher you hit the ball and the harder you must swing, the more inconsistent it's going to be. I don't know why you mention spraying the ball left and right, as I don't think that's a big concern here.

Given that we're talking about 5-30 yard very straight forward shots(no hills, bunkers to go over, etc). I can virtually guarentee you that you would score lower by learning some bump and run style shots with a 7,8,9 iron, or even a pitching wedge if you wanted.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 AM

I've never carried a 60 degree wedge for more than a round or two at a stretch, but have been thinking about breaking one out for a little practice session.

My home course has elevated greens, some significantly so. A couple times a round I'll miss the green and have a pitch shot up a hill over thick rough. I have a hard time getting enough height on a regular pitching wedge and if I do get it up high enough it's hard to stop the ball. These shots are off a variety of lies - rough, fairway height or even bare ground.

What do you think, should I consider a 60 degree wedge for this type of shot or should I try and develop nerves of steel (and learn how to open up and hit down on a regular wedge)?