Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: My list of poker advice and concepts which I think are plain bs

Agree with everything except 6. and 8. I would go as far as to say that 6. should be instead "You called the turn and nothing has changed, so now you gotta call the river too".

Could someone explain why 8. is retarded? I find there are a lot of spots where I'd rather balance my play on turn by shoving both my draws and made hands rather than just betting pot or whatever, and then trying to correctly bluff the river with the right frequency when my draws miss.

12. KQ, KJ and other "dominated" broadway hands are trash and should be played very cautiously (I know this was probably originally FR wisdom but I see a lot of people try apply it to shorthanded play which doesn't make much sense).
Old 04-29-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

9. Bet because you think you have the best hand. Bet to protect your hand (the latter sometimes has merits but its so rare its better to forget about it at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

whaaa?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 AM

On 2: with 100BB stacks i completely agree SCs suck, but I think calling with low pps are +EV no matter what. Do you suggest folding or reraising?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On 2: with 100BB stacks i completely agree SCs suck, but I think calling with low pps are +EV no matter what. Do you suggest folding or reraising?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to fold just because you didn't hit two pair+.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You should do A x% of the time and B y% of the time
Old 04-29-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You should do A x% of the time and B y% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 02:28 PM

funny thread but 2 & 8 are not BS at all...
Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM

whhhhhhyyyyyy would you post something like this.... :P
Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 PM

2, 4, and 8 = lol

especially 8. what the [censored]
Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 PM

My thoughts:

1. Agree that always cbetting is wrong, and that cbetting because you raised preflop rather than based on your and your opponent's ranges and the board is wrong. But betting is more often better than checking, mainly because a raising range should be stronger than a coldcalling range, which also affords you the luxury of bluffing more.

2. Pocket pairs usually disagree, suited connectors usually agree; in both cases you have to balance the implied odds (or lack thereof) against bluffing opportunities. The less your sets get paid off the more potential bluff value you have. I find myself mucking these sometimes against people I think play better than me or as well as me.

3. Fine, but way too vague/you're attacking a strawman - I don't think people are as extreme about this as you're implying.

4. Disagree, using mixed strategies on neutral-EV decision points makes you more difficult to play against and makes opponents more likely to make mistakes in other situations (i.e. you gain more EV in other +EV spots).

5. Disagree, although the point is somewhat a definitional issue. Two way bets are a function of our incomplete information. I said a lot about what I think on this in aejones' thread.

6. Agree, especially online, in that you should already have a river plan in place on the turn. Live, the idea of reevaluating makes more sense because you can watch the way the opponent does whatever he does on the river.

7. Too opponent dependent to be absolute in either direction. If I read you right, I think you're tying this in with #1 and advocating checking flops more; if so I see your point.

8. I can't decide on this one. I think I disagree, but I have nothing useful to say.

9. Wtf? I mean, yeah you're really betting because you have the best hand and expect worse hands to call more than bluff, and sometimes you should check the best hand because he'll bluff more than call. But "because I have the best hand" is very often a significant part of the reason for betting; so I think you're being too nitpicky.

10. Mostly agree, although like any cliche it has at least a grain of truth; one thing our actions do is provide information that makes future actions easier. But rarely is "finding out where you're at" the main reason to do anything.