Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: NL50 - small set and facing heat.

Villains don't always have sets when it seems likely they have them. I always fear the monsters, but I've never laid a set down yet on dry boards. I hope I can remember hands like the following and continue not laying them down. Villain is 32/9 so similarish stats to your villain's.

I was very sure he had a set here, but turns out he didn't:

SB: $125.50
<font color="black">BB: $319.10</font>
UTG: $199.10
<u>UTG+1: $189</u>
<font color="black">MP1: $341.70</font>
<u>Hero (MP2): $225.35</u>
MP3: $131.20
CO: $67
BTN: $315.25

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $8, 4 folds, BB calls $6, UTG+1 calls $6

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($33) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T 2 (4 Players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets $16</font>, Hero calls $16, BB folds, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $40</font>, MP1 calls $24, Hero calls $24

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($153) J (3 Players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets $80</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $160</font>, UTG+1 calls all-in for $61
Uncalled bet of $19 returned to Hero

<font color="black">River:</font> ($435) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $435 ($3 Rake)

UTG+1 had 4 2 (two pairs, Fours and Twos) and LOST (-$189)
Hero had 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Twos) and WON (+$243)

I would start considering folding bottom sets against weak-tight regulars against whom you have a lot of hands where they don't go out of the line.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 AM

Hmm, thanks for your post Juu.

I think your right. You just can't worry about another set vs. these type / level of players and try and get all your monnies in - which I did!

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you elaborate on your answers a little more please.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think he could, cuz he's WRONG.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 AM

You should lead the flop, but as played get all in for sure.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you elaborate on your answers a little more please.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think he could, cuz he's WRONG.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Sure I will elaborate.

1. Just because he has a pfr of 10%, does not mean that he will not occasionally limp in with a high pp hoping to go for a limp re raise. Furthermore, I have seen this many times, villain limps in with a high pp, when his plan fails he gets overly frustrated and overplays his 1 pair over pair.

2. He is loose of course he can have T7, or any other weird holding that you beat. Remember, just because you wouldn't play a certain hand a certain way, does not mean that others will not.

3. As far as it being obvious that he has a higher set, sure it is possible, but he could have other hands as well. SO unless you can see his cards or the signs to get out are really clear, or you have like 200-300b you shouldn't be thinking about folding.

Bottom line, set vs set sucks but even if you got stacked every time you still wouldn't be hurting yourself in the long run.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Some days you just shouldn't get out of bed. You didn't miss anything. You simply can't play poker in fear of your opponent having that one perfect hand that beats you.

You had a set. You went with it. Most of the time you'll be the one stacking all the chips. Take a deep breath, take a 5 minute break and reload.