Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Playing on Credit at a local spot

people still sell debt?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM

Stop right now. Do whatever you can to raise the money to pay him back from someone outside the 'industry.' Borrow from your parents or roommate. Hit up a credit card. Mow some lawns. Whatever you can do, do it.

Now, there is this. You may not be a winning player. You sound marginal at best. Poker is a wonderful game but you should not be "playing almost full time because I am trying to master and become a strong player" with money you do not have.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people still sell debt?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but its rarly like you saw in rounders, usually its someone who knows he can collect, and therefore is willing to pay .75 or .05 on the dollar to the indebted party to buy the note, it can provide a lucrative profit. Oddly I was in a discussion about this just 2 days ago with a very well known high limit player who will remain nameless, he sold off his $200,00 loan to another player for $175,000.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

And stop the excuses. You made this mess, now fix it.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 PM

In the past I have bought a few. Not fun for most to collect.
Being the OLD CHIT that I am I do have a few I can ask for a favor now and then.
All debts were paid in full with very little trouble.
Today though, I doubt I would buy.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 PM

The blinds are not important it's the typical swings that are. You could go much further south in a real hurry if you catch just a few bad cards at inopportune times. You're playing with fire here and I suspect you know it. Playing on credit is for the movies, not everyday people. You know you need to stop and pay off the debt, so do it.

Al
Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds are not important it's the typical swings that are. You could go much further south in a real hurry if you catch just a few bad cards at inopportune times. You're playing with fire here and I suspect you know it. Playing on credit is for the movies, not everyday people. You know you need to stop and pay off the debt, so do it.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Kinish has a truck you can drive if you need a job.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] oh god, did I really say that for my 200th post? *sigh*
Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 AM

Playing on credit is, IMO, irresponsible. Don't play with money you can't afford to lose and don't borrow money to gamble. It sounds like you are playing over your head and should take a breather for awhile. Pay back what you owe ASAP.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2007, 02:05 AM

I can't remember the last time I bought in with cash to a live local game. Credit is the sweetest thing ever...if the place gets robbed or raided I get stuck exactly zero. Oh wait, I have cash to settle up the next day if I lose. You don't. As rgold said, bankroll management is an integral component in mastering poker. You do not currently possess the bankroll to play at the stakes you currently play. You only have the bankroll to play smaller stakes which are not offered in live games. Therefore, A) Stop playing live. B) Pay off the debt immediately by using a third party loan. C) Make some quick cash through some form of job. D) Grind smaller stakes online until you have a sufficent bankroll E) Move up as your bankroll dictates. F) Profit.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 AM

A different way to settle the debt...wouldn't he let you grind out some box time? Getting stuck on tab has been the gloryless time honored method for people to begin the prosperous career of "poker dealer".