Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Smoking vs. Risk of Ruin

Oh, I gotta be honest, I did have a slip-up on Sunday. I had spent all day drinking and eating at a friend's barbeque and been absolutely fine talking to so many people and didn't have any urge to smoke. But then around 11pm when I was incredibly drunk - I'd got through bottles of beer, red wine, white wine - and nearly everyone had gone home, I smoked a roll-up without a filter, on my own, in the dark garden while my friends sat inside.

And, you know what, it was revolting, really really horrible, and I felt miserable, and I had no urge to smoke any more or again. I don't know if it'd have been different if I'd had a Marlboro Light, but thankfully I didn't.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 AM

Smokers stink. That alone is enough reason to quit.
I see every smoker as weak. I'm not alone. So I see life extension as a poor reason.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Personally I've arrived at the viewpoint of 'this is stupid, doesn't achieve much, funds pretty horrible multi-national companies, and is killing me', so I don't see myself going back on myself once I've got over the initial difficult hump.

What about someone who loves smoking though? What kind of utility value do you have to put on a potentially longer life in order to quit anyway? Is someone who continues to smoke suicidal by definition? What if they just didn't fancy the look of old age? Statistically a smoker will tend to die in their sixties. What if someone saw that 70+ gets pretty unpleasant for many people and smoked as a strategic choice. Completely insane, or a reasonable 'gaming' choice?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see every smoker as weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fascinating insight that shows little to no understanding of the nature of addiction.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see every smoker as weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fascinating insight that shows little to no understanding of the nature of addiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think addiction is an poor excuse for weak will power.

The chemical addiction only dicatates -some- of your decision. The logical part of your thinking is what is supposed to separate you from a monkey.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:14 AM

But the point of addiction is it overrides logic.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about someone who loves smoking though? What kind of utility value do you have to put on a potentially longer life in order to quit anyway? Is someone who continues to smoke suicidal by definition? What if they just didn't fancy the look of old age? Statistically a smoker will tend to die in their sixties. What if someone saw that 70+ gets pretty unpleasant for many people and smoked as a strategic choice. Completely insane, or a reasonable 'gaming' choice?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sure most people hit 70+ and just commit suicide b/c their life was much better in their 20s and 30s.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you see you get nothing from cigarettes, there are no advantages, no up-side, it's easy to quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the whole dose of nicotine, which the the point to begin with.

Also, you can only call smokers who want to quit weak. Anything else is just retarded.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 PM

There has to be other people like myself who smoke every now and then but just do it to catch a buzz every now and then. I hate the fact that smoking is thought of as either you are a smoker, or you aren't. Sure I smoke every now and then, but it doesn't bother me at all if I can't. I just love to sit outside on a nice night after a few beers and relax with a cig.

I also hate being in smoke filled bars and restaurants, but it doesn't bother me enough to not go to places I enjoy. What I hate much more is the little bitches who complain about how smoke filled it is. If you don't want to be there it's pretty easy to leave.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the point of addiction is it overrides logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

It overrides -some- logic.

If you really wanted to smoke, and I threw the cigarette over a cliff, would you go diving after it?

Logic is still there.