Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: After One Year, I\'ve Lost Some of My Enthusiasm for Poker

[ QUOTE ]
I don't feel that way at all. I still love watching it, and love playing it even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree.

Don't know what bearing this has on anything, but I never enjoyed watching the WPT all that much.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM

There is too much poker on tv and there are so many different shows of low quality that it isn't the same as it was when you would only catch the WSOP or WPT. We don't even show poker on the tv's where I deal anymore because it is all the same and players don't care to watch. The only thing that too much poker on tv does for regulars is give us a fresh supply of straight chasers and bottom pair callers to help us pad our stacks.

The big draws for poker originally were
- Viewers wanting to improve their game
- Viewers questioning actions seen by the pros and saying they could do better

I think many of the serious players realize that seeing such a small fraction of a tournament doesn't do anything to help their game. I also see fewer players question what the pros do during a hand because they all would play it the same.

The only thing I can see that would improve this situation is if other games were shown more frequently (I have seen WSOP Omaha one time) or they did long term play analysis of a player (over several blind levels) and not just analysis of each hand.

Dan's 2 cents
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM

i agree with tony that cash games are far more entertaining and the way forward as far as televised poker. i would really love it if someone tryed doing something similar to l@tb which would certainly work with better orginization imo.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:38 PM

i love watching the old games on ESPN Classic, before they had the hole card cam. I wish i had old poker games on DVD just so i could try to read the table action.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 PM

OP: Do you find yourself getting involved in trendy hobbies and then losing interest and moving on to something else after a while? Without knowing you, it seems that since you've only been really into poker for a year, it was just new and exciting, and now the novelty has worn off. It probably has more to do with that than changes in poker itself.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 AM

Interestingly, I think High Stakes Poker has stolen televised tournament poker's thunder. High Stakes is FAR more entertaining than any tournament poker show. Tournament poker is just plain boring to watch in comparison. It's lost its lustre.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Do you find yourself getting involved in trendy hobbies and then losing interest and moving on to something else after a while? Without knowing you, it seems that since you've only been really into poker for a year, it was just new and exciting, and now the novelty has worn off. It probably has more to do with that than changes in poker itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yes and no...I've been following poker for much longer than a year. My thread title was a spoof of the other thread saying "After 50 years.." (referring to Doyle Brunson's comments about losing enthusiasm).

But yes, I do often go from one life interest or hobby to another. But poker has been with me for quite a while, so this is not an instance of that. I'm just saying in this particular past year that I've lost more interest than any other. Poker isn't like other sports where there is usually one dominant league and a "season"...I just can't follow these no-names and don't think tournament poker has much to offer.

HSP was great yes, but even then it's not must-see TV for me. I'd just as easily be more interested in watching a movie.

-TheMan
Old 04-28-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yes and no...I've been following poker for much longer than a year. My thread title was a spoof of the other thread saying "After 50 years.." (referring to Doyle Brunson's comments about losing enthusiasm).

But yes, I do often go from one life interest or hobby to another. But poker has been with me for quite a while, so this is not an instance of that. I'm just saying in this particular past year that I've lost more interest than any other. Poker isn't like other sports where there is usually one dominant league and a "season"...I just can't follow these no-names and don't think tournament poker has much to offer.

HSP was great yes, but even then it's not must-see TV for me. I'd just as easily be more interested in watching a movie.

-TheMan

[/ QUOTE ]

To sum things up. Amatuer poker on TV has watered down the game/sport. At first it seemed exciting, but no it's making poker unwatchable.

-TheMan
Old 04-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I agree that at first, any poker on tv using the hole card cams was exciting. Now it's saturated with so many terrible shows, that it is hard to get excited to watch most shows. I used to really look forward to the next WPT episode, but there's really no drama in seeing all-in after all-in and seeing who gets lucky. HSP is the only must-see poker show lately.

It just seemed like you (OP) were getting sick of even playing poker. Maybe laying off the poker on tv will keep playing the game fresh for you.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Watching poker on TV is not as enjoyable as it was two years ago with the notable exception of HSP. I still look forward to watching it.

I barely paid attention to the WSOP on ESPN this past year and while I still watch the WPT, is is a predictable snooze fest.