Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Advice on marrying a foreigner for citizenship

also, it might be suspicious that you are starting this whole process about a month before her visa expires
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 PM

I saw a documentary once on Green Card issues that starred Gerard Depardieu and Andie MacDowell that might help to clue you in on the situation.

I seem to remember they had to go to extreme measures to make it look realistic as they had concerns of going to prison for doing so.

Remember, they will ask your family, friends and anyone who generally know the two of you, including Professors. If they lie they are committing perjury.

Also you WILL be investigated due to the particulars of this case.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM

my friend (canadian) is marrying a girl from iowa in june and planning on moving down there to live with her. he just had his first interview with the investigators and he is legitimately worried he's going to be denied. apparently the process is ridiculous.

i would be concerned.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:32 PM

make sure that she's totally legit. i know someone who went through this and it turned out that the girl had some bad marks on her record so everything got [censored] up and it was a huge waste of time and money.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 PM

When I was in China I knew about one guy who was paid by mafia types 40k Canadian to marry come Chinese girl, it went through with out a hitch, but they were pretty good at falsifying evidence of an ongoing relationship, such as phone records, joint bank accounts, ec. Also getting some fake photos of you guys enjoying a holidays or two is useful as well as pairs of movie tickets, etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 PM

Wow I had no idea that they would be this thorough in their investigation. I still think it would be easy to pass since we are friends, around each other alot, and she is on a student visa at the school where I'm enrolled. But, this may be more than I am willing to offer at the moment as far as jumping through hoops.

How do mail order bride arangements work then? They would not fit any of the criterea listed as far as the investigation (not an established couple, would likely not known by many friends and family etc.)

As far as the timing, there are alot of couples that "rush" a marriage when they are going to be seperated. i.e. the military, graduation.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 PM

OP,

A friend of mine married a Canadian so she could stay in the US after her studies. They are definitely capable of calling and asking family and friends about your relationship, how long you've been together, if you seem in love, etc. If you're considering marrying her by the end of May, and your parents have never heard her name, either be prepared to involve them in your lie or to accept that your chances of being busted are going to go way up.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:56 PM

this is going to be way harder and way more involved than you think it is.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Yes that is true, I am currently organising a prospective marriage visa for my girlfriend to come to Australia, we need less evidence but still a substantial ammount such as people to provide statements of our relationship our intention to marry. We also need to write statements about how we will support each other and our future plans as a couple.

Obviously if you get married I think you probably will be able to get this visa with not a huge amount of fuss, but it could still turn bad. I have heard of immigration departments asking the girlfriend questions like what size underwear you wear, information about your family that you would likely have discussed if you were in a committed and ongoing relationship, etc.

It's very very slim chance you would be caught if you do your homework, but it's personally not something I would do unless I really had genuine feelings for someone.

I do however think it's far too difficult for Chinese people to immigrate around the world and that is unfair.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is going to be way harder and way more involved than you think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]