Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: $60: AJ vs min reraise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really thought this was a big hand and didn't want to call preflop but thought I almost had to. As played check call certainly seems the best but I think I'll just fold preflop next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you folded to the flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, yes. I didn’t want to compound my preflop call error by getting stacked but that’s why I posted. Heat of the battle with 9 tables also doesn’t help. Still learning…
Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 PM

Well, obviously if you're convinced you're behind on the flop you can fold. But really if you aren't putting any more chips in on this flop, then you should just fold to the minraise preflop, imo, even though I hate folding to min-raises.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM

darin, reads or stats would help immensely on these. If you call preflop, which I would, I don't think folding that flop is ever correct. You're basically putting him on AA and the case A came on the flop, as AK rarely min-RRs like that. I love it when they have KK in these spots and totally screw themselves with the cutesy min RR. Oops. I'd even value bet him on the river if he checks the turn. They always call.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM

agree with the wiggs-meister. Cant fold if youre calling PF reraise. I like calling the flop as played.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 PM

I cuss out the minreraiser in my head while I fold pf. As played you can't fold to the flop bet.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM

I've been thinking about this hand. What % of the time is this kk/aa? How much more frequent is AA than KK? All in all the preflop call isn't bad if we can remove AK from villain's range. We are playing strictly to flop an ace and to be willing to go broke when we do. Even if villain minraises with AA twice as frequently as KK, he is still 3x (I think) more likely to hold KK when the ace flops.

Also, why does the preflop call necessitate that hero continue with the hand? There are good reasons to continue with the hand, but just because you called preflop isn't one of them IMO.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you're calling the min-raise preflop you certainly can't fold on this flop. I'd call the flop and check the turn and obviously call down. If he checks behind turn I lead river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why does the preflop call necessitate that hero continue with the hand? There are good reasons to continue with the hand, but just because you called preflop isn't one of them IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're calling preflop, you need to know what kind of flop you're looking for. Obviously flopping two pair or a straight is best case scenario, but those are so unlikely that you can't call the reraise if you're only going to continue on those flops. So, the next best flop (and far more likely) is flopping an Ace, but if you're not going to put any more chips in the pot when you flop an ace, then you might as well save yourself some chips and just fold to the reraise preflop.

Edit: There's also some value in calling the reraise pf so you don't become known as a rock that will fold to min-reraises. However IMO, this still doesn't compensate for the chips we're losing if we're folding on ace high flops.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why does the preflop call necessitate that hero continue with the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's quite that. It's more than if you plan to check/fold this flop, then it necessitates you fold preflop to the minraise.

I mean, what other flop are you looking for? Axx is much better than Jxx since Axx is a ton better for us against a typical person's re-raising range. You can't call preflop hoping to flop JJx or AJx. So yeah, one sort of does necessitate the other, just maybe not in the order you said, if that makes sense.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're calling preflop, you need to know what kind of flop you're looking for. Obviously flopping two pair or a straight is best case scenario, but those are so unlikely that you can't call the reraise if you're only going to continue on those flops. So, the next best flop (and far more likely) is flopping an Ace, but if you're not going to put any more chips in the pot when you flop an ace, then you might as well save yourself some chips and just fold to the reraise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that we should continue. I'm talking more in general. If you make a mistake preflop it doesn't mean that you have to continue the hand.